The Student Room Group

What do I do after college?

The title says it all.

Where do I go now after college?
I have near enough finished college by now, just waiting for the official date and getting my grades. But I'm too stressed out. I have a place at a uni, which I'm debating on withdrawing from. I found secondary school and college really difficult to handle, in terms of the social aspect, studying in classrooms, and at home. I don't know how much uni differs from college, but I'm not sure if I want to go and find out that I don't like it. It's also really far from where I live currently so travel back home will be difficult and rare.
There are barely any other options in life that I've been told about, it's all education-based which doesn't suit me, I feel.
Is it possible for me to attend another college in my area after graduating from this one? The courses there are more to my taste but ultimately I'm not sure what to do. I have applied for a part-time job and am hoping that I'll get it. I have August/September time to decide, of course, but I don't want to leave it that late if I'm not certain about what to do.
I've been considering a gap year to seek professional mental health treatment as I feel that had a great impact on my secondary/college experience.
Hi Syracz,

thank you for your post. I think a lot of students are asking the same question as you, so you are not alone. I would start very simply - please do not put too much pressure on yourself. Sometimes when we are not ready to make decision, we tend to push ourselves from societal pressures that "we have to" find a job. If you can live with your parents after your college, so you will have temporarily financial stability, it is worth considering the treatment you mentioned if you feel you need it. And maybe after the treatment the options will come to you or maybe even earlier.

Also, do not be afraid just to start somewhere. We tend to be afraid to make the wrong decisions to avoid making mistakes, but really there is no wrong decision as we always learn and grow from "our mistakes" and challenges along the way. For example, I always learn by experiencing what I like or what I do not like, and If I do not try it myself, I could never judge if I like it or not. So in case, I do not like it, I know for next time that I should avoid it and try to search something better.

So, you can ask yourself questions: Where do I want to start? What do I need most? What do I really want to try doing? Is it uni life? Is it mental health treatment, or work? You can make a list of all possibilities and then mark them according the priorities that you want to do first.

I hope I answered your question. If you have any other concerns, please ask.

Good luck on your journey.

Lucie,
PhD student,
Cranfield university.
Original post by syracz
The title says it all.

I have near enough finished college by now, just waiting for the official date and getting my grades. But I'm too stressed out. I have a place at a uni, which I'm debating on withdrawing from. I found secondary school and college really difficult to handle, in terms of the social aspect, studying in classrooms, and at home. I don't know how much uni differs from college, but I'm not sure if I want to go and find out that I don't like it. It's also really far from where I live currently so travel back home will be difficult and rare.
There are barely any other options in life that I've been told about, it's all education-based which doesn't suit me, I feel.
Is it possible for me to attend another college in my area after graduating from this one? The courses there are more to my taste but ultimately I'm not sure what to do. I have applied for a part-time job and am hoping that I'll get it. I have August/September time to decide, of course, but I don't want to leave it that late if I'm not certain about what to do.
I've been considering a gap year to seek professional mental health treatment as I feel that had a great impact on my secondary/college experience.

Hi @syracz

my advice to you would be - don’t rush into anything if you’re unsure. Life can go by pretty fast after college so it’s good to hear you’re giving this some thorough thought and seeking advice.

University can be amazing if you’re going into something you’re passion about. I love studying at Chester - it’s home let, comfortable and I’m doing what I love (photography). If that’s something you’re not sure about I’d suggest taking that gap year to focus on yourself as this gives you that needed break and easy adaptation into adult-life. Perhaps finding a job to make up some money? Or, even joining some Facebook groups concerning voluntary work, your chosen uni, join some WhatsApp chats!

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Original post by syracz
The title says it all.

I'd recommend that you do take a gap year to work out what you really want to do rather than embarking on a uni course that you are unsure about. You could ask to defer your place to keep your options open or you can withdraw and then reapply next year if you change your mind. But in the end, if you don't feel that uni is for you, don't go. There are alternatives to uni.

Some resources that you might find useful:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/alternatives-to-university

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/nhs-apprenticeships

https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/apprentices

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=516

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending