The Student Room Group

Concerned with GP proof of disability form

I have autism, diagnosed when I was 3 years old and have an EHC Plan (possibly due to historical reasons rather than current need if I am completely honest). The only professional involved is a speech therapist I see for 2/3 sessions a term.

My GP has not been involved much with my disability other than a referral to Camhs in Y6 for anxiety. They would have the initial diagnosis on file though so hopefully can confirm the basics at least.

I get extra time and laptop in exams - what proof will I need to give the GP to write this on the form. Will something from my school’s Senco be enough?

I also think I need an en-suite room due to my disability/anxiety. I won’t use the toilets at school at all and although I have coped with sharing a bathroom on school trips it has only been for a few days but think I will have stomach problems if I had to for a term. Would this be enough to get a subsidised en-suite room and will I need evidence or is my word enough?

I am only in Y12 so have time thankfully.
Reply 1
Not sure regarding exams - i never had accommodations and I also don’t know if you mean A levels or uni exams. But your best bet is always to contact the people who will know - exams officer/SENCO at your school if you’re worried about A levels, email the disability services people at the unis you’re considering if you’re worried about uni exam accommodations.

With accommodation accommodations (lol) I needed an ensuite and self catered accommodation and both my insurance and firm choice university was fine with me explaining my issue plus evidence of my diagnosis from when i was a child (I got it for severe emetophobia, I just sent in the CAMHS letters from when I was 10 as I hadn’t had recent contact with health services about it).

I hope that helps - would highly recommend contacting the disability services of unis you’re looking at and asking these questions though as procedures can vary between universities!
Reply 2
Hi,
So I'm also autistic and have sorted the uni support out
So with the proof of disability you should have a copy of the ASD report (your parents might have this if you haven't seen this)
If you do have the report this is enough to send to the university and DSA and don't need a letter from the doctor if you have the original diagnosis paperwork. If you don't have the paper work you should be able to either ask for a copy of it from the doctors as it will be useful to have your own copy to bring to uni incase you want to apply for things you need it for or you can ask the doctor to fill in the form confirming the diagnosis.
They normally say the diagnosis report is better as it lists your struggles but if you were diagnoised at 3 I'm not sure how accurate it would be

For the exam adjustments I had a meeting with the university advisor and we spoke about different support etc and included in that was about exam support and what I had in the past, I told her and she didn't ask for any proof but got all the adjustments again so they should be able to give you them just from asking for them

For the ensuite you would need to apply for DSA but I'm not sure if they are able to get an ensuite for autism (I wasn't), it is normally for a physcial disability but it might be possible.I'm not sure what proof you would be able to get for it though. I also had a problem using the bathrooms at school but for me it was the hand dryers and other sensory aspects but at uni there is 3 toilets for 6 people and they are in a room by themsleves so like one at home, but I don't know if you would have a problem with this as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending