The Student Room Group

History coursework

I'm currently taking History as one of my A-level subjects. We were told in class to start thinking about our History coursework topics. Would there be any disadvantages, such as possibly receiving a lower score, if our coursework question is too simple/ not interesting enough? For example, if my question was "Assess the view that British colonisation had positive impacts on Australia", would that be too simple?
Reply 1
my best advice would be to discuss this with your teachers directly. the important thing to know is whether you will be able to write 4000 (?) words on your topic, will you have enough main points for your argument
'positive impacts' is vague - you could specify it with a factor and also argue for or against that with other factors in your essay - eg think economics or who benefited/did not.
maybe in the meantime you start reading around the topic and you can naturally figure it out - reading is key for coursework
Reply 2
I don’t think a vague topic is necessarily bad- it often means you can bring in a lot of different arguments and factors. Just make sure you can find enough books on the topic to use for your historians

Quick Reply

Latest