The Student Room Group

How do I know if I'm of school-leaving age?

I'm trying to get a job but all the jobs I've looked at it asked if I am of school-leaving age. I'm in year 11 and turn 16 in January. On the government website, it says 'You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays." So this means that I am of school-leaving age right? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm confused and my parents were no help with this. Many thanks in advance.
Original post by venus-law
I'm trying to get a job but all the jobs I've looked at it asked if I am of school-leaving age. I'm in year 11 and turn 16 in January. On the government website, it says 'You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays." So this means that I am of school-leaving age right? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm confused and my parents were no help with this. Many thanks in advance.

From that definition you can leave school on the last Friday in June next year - i.e. at the end of year 11.

If you're only part way through year 11, you won't have taken any GCSEs yet, correct? Why would you want to leave without any qualifications to show for you time at school?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
From that definition you can leave school on the last Friday in June next year - i.e. at the end of year 11.

If you're only part way through year 11, you won't have taken any GCSEs yet, correct? Why would you want to leave without any qualifications to show for you time at school?

I don’t want to leave school yet but I was wondering if I could get a job as I was confused with the school-leaving age. Many thanks though.
Original post by venus-law

From the last friday in june in year 11- you will be of school leaving age.
Before then- you are not of school leaving age yet.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
From the last friday in june in year 11- you will be of school leaving age.
Before then- you are not of school leaving age yet.

Oh okay, thank you. This is probably the simplest but most effective advice thank you.
Yeah as someone said you’re of school leaving age in June while you can get a job at 16 by law you have to be in education or training until the age of 18 so your probably looking at an apprenticeship of some sort however if your looking for a part time job some Jobs you aren’t allowed to do until your 16 I had a part time job like that (ski tech) at 17 where either the company of the law (not sure which)wouldn’t let me do the job until I was 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending