The Student Room Group
Arden University

Maintenance Loan Distance Learning Course

Hello I have started a 6 year part time Forensic Science degree with Arden University. This is a distance learning course and as I am disabled and physically unable to attend, I was under the impression after researching online that I would be eligible for some maintenance loan. However, after sending evidence of my PIP entitlement, medical confirmation from my GP and physio who have also stated why I wouldn’t be able to attend in person, SFE have replied saying the course I have applied for does not attract funding. This has been going on for months and I am so confused. Arden’s website says that I should be entitled, I previously rang SFE and the lady I spoke to thought I should be entitled, no where online can I find any reason why I shouldn’t get it. Can anyone shed any light on this for me or offer any advice? Thank you so much.
Original post by Babacorn
Hello I have started a 6 year part time Forensic Science degree with Arden University. This is a distance learning course and as I am disabled and physically unable to attend, I was under the impression after researching online that I would be eligible for some maintenance loan. However, after sending evidence of my PIP entitlement, medical confirmation from my GP and physio who have also stated why I wouldn’t be able to attend in person, SFE have replied saying the course I have applied for does not attract funding. This has been going on for months and I am so confused. Arden’s website says that I should be entitled, I previously rang SFE and the lady I spoke to thought I should be entitled, no where online can I find any reason why I shouldn’t get it. Can anyone shed any light on this for me or offer any advice? Thank you so much.

@Babacorn
Hello, I work as a SENDco in an F.E College/University centre and have also studied at Arden (where I had a wonderful time). The fact that your course is part time could be where the confusion is coming about, as, if you apply for Disability Support Allowance (which is the usual mechanism of SEND funding in H.E) you have to fill in a different form for part time where the university confirms the number of guided learning hours you have done. A part time course is usually registered as being '50%'. I'm not familiar myself with the requirements for PIP etc but the number of hours you study could be the sticking point. I would speak again to the SFE and ask them about this.

I have seen similar things on Access to HE programs where people in college terms are studying full time, but in the eyes of the benefits office it is considered part time.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
(edited 3 months ago)
Arden University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending