The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Deferring from OU - Student finance implications

Hey! So I’m currently studying Bachelor of Laws with the OU and doing my level 3 modules. My degree is meant to take 6 years but I doubled up a year and intended to do the same next year (2023/2024) to get it down to 4 years. I receive both Tuition and Maintenance loans from SFE due to disability.

I am unfortunately having to consider deferring from the current year (2022/2023) due to personal circumstances which mean I cannot complete my end of year assignment in time. This is due to health issues of one of my children, amongst some other personal issues. The deadline to defer is 26th May, the course ends 30th May. I intend to bank my grades already obtained from the year so far.

My question is, if I defer this year and re-enrol in October to do this and the other 2 modules I had already enrolled on, would there be any financial implications i.e will I receive tuition and/ or maintenance loan again? Would it cover all 120 credits I’d be enrolled for, including the repeated year?

Any help would be appreciated as I don’t want to make a decision without a full understanding of any implications. TIA!
Reply 1
Original post by Jazzyfizzle89
Hey! So I’m currently studying Bachelor of Laws with the OU and doing my level 3 modules. My degree is meant to take 6 years but I doubled up a year and intended to do the same next year (2023/2024) to get it down to 4 years. I receive both Tuition and Maintenance loans from SFE due to disability.

I am unfortunately having to consider deferring from the current year (2022/2023) due to personal circumstances which mean I cannot complete my end of year assignment in time. This is due to health issues of one of my children, amongst some other personal issues. The deadline to defer is 26th May, the course ends 30th May. I intend to bank my grades already obtained from the year so far.

My question is, if I defer this year and re-enrol in October to do this and the other 2 modules I had already enrolled on, would there be any financial implications i.e will I receive tuition and/ or maintenance loan again? Would it cover all 120 credits I’d be enrolled for, including the repeated year?

Any help would be appreciated as I don’t want to make a decision without a full understanding of any implications. TIA!

Hi!

I deferred a level 2 module when studying with the OU, also banking the grades I'd received so far. I wasn't getting a maintenance loan, so I'm not sure about that, but for tuition fee loan, I had to apply again for the following year, but it just kind of continued on, so I didn't have to pay back any extra, the loan I got just covered the remaining credits and the ones for the next module, which I did alongside finishing the deferred module. I'd contact the student support team with the OU, though, to be sure, because these things may have changed since I did my degree.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
Hi!

I deferred a level 2 module when studying with the OU, also banking the grades I'd received so far. I wasn't getting a maintenance loan, so I'm not sure about that, but for tuition fee loan, I had to apply again for the following year, but it just kind of continued on, so I didn't have to pay back any extra, the loan I got just covered the remaining credits and the ones for the next module, which I did alongside finishing the deferred module. I'd contact the student support team with the OU, though, to be sure, because these things may have changed since I did my degree.

Thank you for your reply! I did ask student support and they seemed to think it would be fine and covered by finance (the tuition side definitely) but also said I should check with SFE to be sure and the lady I spoke to there just wasn’t very confident with her answer 😣 I just want to be sure before I commit to a decision
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest