The Student Room Group

Second degree funding career changer

Hi,

Hoping to get some help as deadline approaching...

I have a degree (went straight into YR2 with previous credits from the OU) from DMU (English Language & Media Comms) which I graduated from in 2021 but only achieved a 2:2 as I was understanding I had ADHD during the pandemic.

I have a deferred place on a MSc in IT (Birkbeck) but having looked at the modules as well as the programme now closing after this cohort, I'm thinking it's better if I take the time to study a BSc in Computing instead from Birkbeck (UoL), as it has a much better offering of modules and options I'm more passionate about and I've been moving closer to career wise.

Would I receive funding for the undergraduate?
@SFE Aaron @SFE Andrew @SFE Ashley @SFE Chanel

Thanks,
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Sophia32
Hi,

Hoping to get some help as deadline approaching...

I have a degree (went straight into YR2 with previous credits from the OU) from DMU (English Language & Media Comms) which I graduated from in 2021 but only achieved a 2:2 as I was understanding I had ADHD during the pandemic.

I have a deferred place on a MSc in IT (Birkbeck) but having looked at the modules as well as the programme now closing after this cohort, I'm thinking it's better if I take the time to study a BSc in Computing instead from Birkbeck (UoL), as it has a much better offering of modules and options I'm more passionate about and I've been moving closer to career wise.

Would I receive funding for the undergraduate?
@SFE Aaron @SFE Andrew @SFE Ashley @SFE Chanel

Thanks,

Hi Sophia32,

When would the new course be starting? Would this be full time or part time? Was your previous study full time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Sophia32,

When would the new course be starting? Would this be full time or part time? Was your previous study full time?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for replying 😊

My previous degree was full-time.

The new course can either begin in Sept/Oct 2023 and ideally full- time or part time for 4 years. This is an idea in theory.

I spoke to someone from SFE and they said I would potentially receive funding in the last 2 years only and not the 1st year. My understanding was that if the degree was completely different and within the eligibility criteria courses it would be fully funded?

Many thanks,
Sophia
Hi Claire,

Thanks for replying 😊

My previous degree was full-time.

The new course can either begin in Sept/Oct 2023 and ideally full- time or part time for 4 years. This is an idea in theory.

I spoke to someone from SFE and they said I would potentially receive funding in the last 2 years only and not the 1st year. My understanding was that if the degree was completely different and within the eligibility criteria courses it would be fully funded?

Many thanks,
Sophia

The course needs to be classed as one of our exception courses to be eligible for finance as you already hold a degree. Computing isn't a full time exception course so you wouldn't be eligible for full time funding. If you wish for us to check if it may be a part time exception course, we would require you to tell us the full course details to check this. We require the full course name, university, start date, length of course.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
The course needs to be classed as one of our exception courses to be eligible for finance as you already hold a degree. Computing isn't a full time exception course so you wouldn't be eligible for full time funding. If you wish for us to check if it may be a part time exception course, we would require you to tell us the full course details to check this. We require the full course name, university, start date, length of course.

Thanks,
Claire

Oh I believed Computing came under these categories:
Screenshot_20230828-165818.jpg

It's either offered at clearing by Arden or other universities call the programme Information Technology :smile:

Many thanks,
Oh I believed Computing came under these categories:
Screenshot_20230828-165818.jpg

It's either offered at clearing by Arden or other universities call the programme Information Technology :smile:

Many thanks,

This would be for part time not full time funding. We require the full course name, university, start date, length of course and we can check this for you.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending