The Student Room Group

Might be a stupid question, but will Open Uni free funding affect student finance

Hello, I am just asking for kind of peace of mind. I am aware that Open Uni will fund your access modules for free given you meet a certain criteria. I am just posting this to make sure this won't affect my student finance entitlement in any way.

I have two years funding and am planning on funding the first year myself. I'm just doing this Open Uni access module as a way to show recent study and prepare myself.
Thanks.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/y033#study-for-free
Part time study that leads to a qualification will count as previous study if you later apply for full time funding. That applies however the previous study is funded.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Part time study that leads to a qualification will count as previous study if you later apply for full time funding. That applies however the previous study is funded.

So even if I'm funded for the short access module through open unis free funding it will still affect my student finance entitlement?
Original post by RossLan
So even if I'm funded for the short access module through open unis free funding it will still affect my student finance entitlement?

If you receive a qualification from it yes :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you receive a qualification from it yes :frown:

I don't think I get a qualification out of it. I'm not sure though. I guess I'd have to have student finance people answer.
Original post by RossLan
I don't think I get a qualification out of it. I'm not sure though. I guess I'd have to have student finance people answer.

OU would be the best people to ask about whether it results in a formal qualification.
Original post by RossLan
Hello, I am just asking for kind of peace of mind. I am aware that Open Uni will fund your access modules for free given you meet a certain criteria. I am just posting this to make sure this won't affect my student finance entitlement in any way.

I have two years funding and am planning on funding the first year myself. I'm just doing this Open Uni access module as a way to show recent study and prepare myself.
Thanks.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/y033#study-for-free

Hi there. If you're going to study a higher level than the qualification already gained (if any), you will be eligible to receive funding for up to a maximum of 16 years for part time.

If you have previously studied any years (but not gained a qualification) that are classed as an equivalent level to the course you are looking to study, then this would be deducted from the 16 years entitlement for undergraduate funding (even if self funded). Eg. 16 - 2 (previous study) = 14 years entitlement. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 7
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. If you're going to study a higher level than the qualification already gained (if any), you will be eligible to receive funding for up to a maximum of 16 years for part time.

If you have previously studied any years (but not gained a qualification) that are classed as an equivalent level to the course you are looking to study, then this would be deducted from the 16 years entitlement for undergraduate funding (even if self funded). Eg. 16 - 2 (previous study) = 14 years entitlement. Thanks, Leah.

I think you misunderstand my question. I want to study the access 6 month module on OU that only gives a certificate rather than a proper qualification and then I want to study full time on a three year course. I have already used two years funding up.

Thanks.
Hi there. Yes, my above answer applies to this. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 9
Hi there. Yes, my above answer applies to this. Thanks, Leah.

So the 30 credit certificate, which doesn't even class itself on a study level, won't affect my full time funding for undergraduate?. This is what I'm asking.
If you're going to study a higher level than the qualification already gained (if any qualification is gained, this includes certificates of education), you will be eligible to receive funding for up to a maximum of 16 years for part time. If the certificate doesn't have a level attached to it, then we wouldn't include it. Thanks, Leah.
If you're going to study a higher level than the qualification already gained (if any qualification is gained, this includes certificates of education), you will be eligible to receive funding for up to a maximum of 16 years for part time. If the certificate doesn't have a level attached to it, then we wouldn't include it. Thanks, Leah.

OP wants to study FULL TIME after taking the OU certificate
Original post by RossLan
I think you misunderstand my question. I want to study the access 6 month module on OU that only gives a certificate rather than a proper qualification and then I want to study full time on a three year course. I have already used two years funding up.

Thanks.

Hi Ross,

Regarding the full time study, would this be at the Open University? If not, what is the name of the university and if possible the course you're looking to study? So we can determine eligibility. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending