The Student Room Group

Paper 1 tomorrow

hello , my exam is tomorrow anD i don't yet understand the "basic" economic problem, can anyone Help me please. thanks oh and if you can tell me about demand that'd be great aswell
I think the "basic" economic problem is macro and only comes up on paper 3 i think
Reply 2
The basic economic problem is unlimited wants yet limited resources, it is based on consumers acting in their self-interest as consumer behavioural says within bounded rationality, and tend to over-use publics goods specifically. This leads to the problem of over-using goods and services and essentially degrading them whilst its free because its non rivalrous and non excludable as a public good. Take air for example, no one has property rights over it whilst firms tend to over-produce demerit goods that yield negative externalities in production; therefore the over-production of goods can cause this 'free rider problem' linked to the basic economic problem.
Reply 3
Original post by joshan12
The basic economic problem is unlimited wants yet limited resources, it is based on consumers acting in their self-interest as consumer behavioural says within bounded rationality, and tend to over-use publics goods specifically. This leads to the problem of over-using goods and services and essentially degrading them whilst its free because its non rivalrous and non excludable as a public good. Take air for example, no one has property rights over it whilst firms tend to over-produce demerit goods that yield negative externalities in production; therefore the over-production of goods can cause this 'free rider problem' linked to the basic economic problem.

what is a public good, is it like public transport or public education
Original post by Digitalwizard
what is a public good, is it like public transport or public education

its a good with the characteristics of non-excludability and non-rivalry, so if one person buys it, anyone can use it, leading to the free rider problem.
are you doing eduqas?

Quick Reply

Latest