The Student Room Group

i don’t know what to do

So i’ve done something really stupid

Basically i did an access course after doing bad in my a-levels. I was going to do law then I panicked because i thought i’d be depressed working long hours as a solicitor so i decided to change to nursing and pursue having my own business in aesthetics. The nursing course was full so I waited to start the following year. I hated nursing as soon as I started because i’m introverted, socially anxious and not really a fan of people. I thought the feeling would go away so I persisted and blamed it the feelings on being in a toxic relationship. I ended up failing a placement so I had to redo my first year this year but starting in january. I’ve came to realise that I want nothing to do with aesthetics and i’m stuck on a course I hate that i’ll have to keep doing for another 2 years. It doesn’t matter but i’m 22 turning 23 in a month and it feels terrible that i’m behind.

I wish i just did law and had the gap to mentally prepare.

I’d want to change courses but I don’t know if it’s possible since i’ve used 2 years of funding now. I could drop out and do open university (also does open uni even look good?) at home or work for a year and come back i don’t know. I’m supposed to be living with my 2 best friends so i really don’t want to go back home but i’ll just the set back having a degree i don’t like or wasting more years. If i carry on doing nursing at least I have my bursary and if i was able to switch won’t I have to fund it myself. I’m also looking at apprenticeships but i don’t know

I feel stuck as if i carry on it will feel so painful but i really want a degree. any thoughts?
Reply 1
Hi,
Idk if my response will even be valuable to you because i’m just doing a levels now but i have friends and family in law, have you considered doing a level 3/4/5 apprenticeship or degree apprenticeship? it’ll be a kind of good way for you to ‘catch up’ because you’ll be working (which i’m assuming you friends are as well maybe?) part time and studying part time - you don’t have to pay any money and instead you get paid so you really don’t have to worry about the money thing and racking up extra debt. I just feel like if i were in your situation that what i would probably do and that’s my plan if i fail these a levels lol (but in accountancy) also before i wanted to apply to med but i changed my mind because i could NEVER work in healthcare or anything that has to do with working with people or helping people tbh, and i feel like it takes a certain type of person to work in that sort of environment not saying that you couldn’t or you aren’t a good person or whatever but all the doctors i know are incredibly patient, compassionate people who like feel an intensive need to help people and if you don’t have that maybe it’s not for you? also it’s just long i’ll be real. Anyways sorry for rambling i really hope you find your path but your still super young don’t even worry you need to just take a step back and consider what you really want to do first because your whole career for the rest of your life is at stake. good luck 🤞
Original post by uwotchlo
So i’ve done something really stupid

Basically i did an access course after doing bad in my a-levels. I was going to do law then I panicked because i thought i’d be depressed working long hours as a solicitor so i decided to change to nursing and pursue having my own business in aesthetics. The nursing course was full so I waited to start the following year. I hated nursing as soon as I started because i’m introverted, socially anxious and not really a fan of people. I thought the feeling would go away so I persisted and blamed it the feelings on being in a toxic relationship. I ended up failing a placement so I had to redo my first year this year but starting in january. I’ve came to realise that I want nothing to do with aesthetics and i’m stuck on a course I hate that i’ll have to keep doing for another 2 years. It doesn’t matter but i’m 22 turning 23 in a month and it feels terrible that i’m behind.

I wish i just did law and had the gap to mentally prepare.

I’d want to change courses but I don’t know if it’s possible since i’ve used 2 years of funding now. I could drop out and do open university (also does open uni even look good?) at home or work for a year and come back i don’t know. I’m supposed to be living with my 2 best friends so i really don’t want to go back home but i’ll just the set back having a degree i don’t like or wasting more years. If i carry on doing nursing at least I have my bursary and if i was able to switch won’t I have to fund it myself. I’m also looking at apprenticeships but i don’t know

I feel stuck as if i carry on it will feel so painful but i really want a degree. any thoughts?

Hello @uwotchlo

I am sorry to hear about this, this sounds like quite a stressful situation. Honestly - I would advise you, if you do not enjoy your nursing course to consider withdrawing from the course, as it is quite intense and you need to have a passion to be able to succeed on these types of courses. I think it would be worth considering take a gap year to have time to explore your options, without the pressure of university and other financial demands. Definitely make a list of all your options available to you and the pros and cons. It might be working calling SFE to talk about additional funding etc if you do decide you want to proceed with a degree.

Best of luck
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending