The Student Room Group

Embracing the Benefits of Block Teaching

Hey everyone,:h:

As a student studying Cyber Security at De Montfort University, I wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with DMU’s Education 2030, also known as block teaching, and how it has positively impacted my learning journey. Block Teaching is a new course structure implemented at our university that focuses on teaching one subject at a time, allowing us to dive deep into each topic and receive a more comprehensive understanding.

One of the significant advantages of Education 2030 is the frequency of feedback we receive. With traditional teaching methods, we would have to retain knowledge from multiple modules and then revisit them for summer assessments. However, with block teaching, we are assessed more regularly, and feedback is provided after each block. This means that we can promptly address any areas of improvement and build upon our strengths, resulting in a more effective learning experience.

The reduced stress of the assessment schedule is another benefit of Education 2030. Gone are the days of juggling multiple subjects and preparing for exams simultaneously. Instead, we have the luxury of focusing on one subject at a time for a duration of seven weeks. This concentrated approach allows us to thoroughly absorb the teaching materials, engage in meaningful discussions, and truly grasp the concepts before moving on to the next block. As a result, the assessment process feels less overwhelming, and we can allocate our time and energy more efficiently.

Furthermore, block teaching has enhanced the sense of community within our Cyber Security cohort. We have the opportunity to form stronger connections with both our professors and fellow students throughout each block. Being with the same teaching team and course mates fosters a supportive environment, where we can collaborate, share insights, and learn from one another. The focused timetables also remove barriers to attending all classes and scheduled learning, promoting a cohesive and inclusive learning community.

In terms of work-life balance, Education 2030 has been a game-changer. With the simplified timetable and dedicated blocks, we have more flexibility to manage our other commitments, such as part-time jobs, personal projects, and even self-care. This structure acknowledges that university life encompasses more than just academic pursuits and encourages us to explore extracurricular activities, sports, and hobbies. In turn, this holistic approach nurtures our overall well-being and personal growth.

I must say, I was initially sceptical about Education 2030, but the statistics speak for themselves. According to the data obtained from first-year undergraduates, 93% of them enjoyed studying one subject at a time, and 90% expressed satisfaction with choosing our university. These numbers highlight the positive impact Education 2030 has had on students' academic experiences and overall satisfaction.

If you want to learn more about Block Teaching, I highly recommend checking out the link https://www.dmu.ac.uk/empowering-university/edu2030/index.aspx

In conclusion, Block Teaching has been a breath of fresh air for students like myself. The frequency of feedback, reduced stress of assessments, sense of community, improved work-life balance, and overall satisfaction have made this approach truly valuable. I believe Education 2030 sets us up for success in a rapidly changing world, equipping us with the skills and knowledge needed to thrive in the field of Cyber Security.

What are your thoughts on Education 2030? Do you think it is a better approach compared to the traditional teaching structure? I'm eager to hear your perspectives and experiences!

Stay curious and keep learning,

Ilya :wink:
Reply 1
I'm interested to see the research on this and will have a look at this next week. I can certainly see the benefit but I do worry that it diminishes a lot of skills that students really ought to be building, namely working on more than one thing at once, juggling multiple commitments, mental agility. There are in principle some pretty big trade offs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending