The Student Room Group
Take a pen, a notebook and your brain. Listen carefully, take notes, ask questions. Go home, think about all you have been told, decide what to do next. :smile:
Be yourself.... and remember.. first impressions count!

x
Reply 3
write down all your questions... it would be dumb if you forget to ask one.
Reply 4
carsomyr
Ive got my first visit booked in to my local AFCO tomorrow morning.
Not the filter interview or anything, just that initial contact.
I must admit, even though i am thoroughly looking forward to it i am slightly nervous.

Any last minute words of advice? Tips? Preparations? etc

Thanks in advance :smile:

First time you go in they will start to watch how you present yourself, how courteous you are, how you answer their questions etc.
First impressions count.
From my experience, learn why you want to be in the air force and why you have chose your certain trades etc.
Because if you havent done your homework then, they wont even give you the form.
I suppose it is only your first visit, so look enthusiastic and ask questions.
Reply 5
I'm not so sure, really. When I first went into the AFCO I was wearing a pair of old jeans and some issue boots I was attempting to break in, a mountaineering type jacket and a dirty faded daysack over my shoulder. I really don't think the first trip into the AFCO has an impact if it's just (not to be derogatory) the desk staff you're speaking to, after all the P2 presentation is the first real part of the selection process.

From my experience, go in there, don't fret about it as you're not being judged (in any way that's going to make a difference, at least). It was evident I didn't have a scooby when I first walked in there, but I don't suppose they will expect people to, as long as you know your stuff for your Interview you should be fine. Let us know what happens!
Reply 6
Imagine what you would do if there was nobody here to tell you what to do and do that!
Reply 7
Well i went along and things all went very well. The guy I spoke to was very nice. Gave me lots of information to look at along with all the necessary forms. Nice and informal.
He saw some of my tattoos (all over my arm) and i showed him how my long sleeve shirt covered them; they go right up near my wrist
Had a very good chat about what id been upto and where things were going to go from here.

Have been reading through the forms already and im raring to go.

All in all a great first experience. Very reassuring.
carsomyr
Well i went along and things all went very well. The guy I spoke to was very nice. Gave me lots of information to look at along with all the necessary forms. Nice and informal.
He saw some of my tattoos (all over my arm) and i showed him how my long sleeve shirt covered them; they go right up near my wrist
Had a very good chat about what id been upto and where things were going to go from here.

Have been reading through the forms already and im raring to go.

All in all a great first experience. Very reassuring.

im pleased it went well. what are you applyig for?
Reply 9
Im applying for Pilot and WSO and at the moment looking into ground roles as backups.

Im not entirely sure id want a ground role though. I definately want to be in the RAF, the career, the life style, everything and realise that i may not, god forbid, be suitable to fly. In which case a ground support role would be good however theres nothing that really makes me think "wow i want to do that forever" so i feel like im doing the roles an injustice if they dont excite me like Pilot and WSO do.
Reply 10
How'ed it go?
Reply 11
Great thanks
Im giving myself until the end of this week to fill out the forms, then we are organising the presentation at the beginning of next week. Apparently im lucky that its not insanely busy at this AFCO
Someone did mention they were turning all officers away until next year, no such luck!

Latest