The Student Room Group

BTEC Applied science

I am doing an extended programme qualification I got 2 passes in the exam unit last year and I got a distinction for every assignment. Can I still achieve a D*DD or DDD?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by rida886
Guys help pls last year I got 2 passes in the exam unit and I got a distinction for every assignment. Can I still achieve a D* or D?

Which size BTEC are you doing? A Certificate (the size of 0.5 A levels), an Extended Certificate (the size of 1 A level), a Foundation Diploma (the size of 1.5 A levels), a Diploma (the size of 2 A levels), or an Extended Diploma (the size of 3 A levels)?

From the fact that you mention "last year", I assume this is two-year course, which suggests a Diploma or an Extended Diploma. However, you've talked about "a D* or D" which doesn't tally as Diplomas are graded from PP to D*D* (two letters) and Extended Diplomas are graded from PPP to D*D*D* (three letters).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Which size BTEC are you doing? A Certificate (the size of 0.5 A levels), an Extended Certificate (the size of 1 A level), a Foundation Diploma (the size of 1.5 A levels), a Diploma (the size of 2 A levels), or an Extended Diploma (the size of 3 A levels)?

From the fact that you mention "last year", I assume this is two-year course, which suggests a Diploma or an Extended Diploma. However, you've talked about "a D* or D" which doesn't tally as Diplomas are graded from PP to D*D* (two letters) and Extended Diplomas are graded from PPP to D*D*D* (three letters).

My apologies, I should’ve specified, I am doing an extended programme qualification. And yes is itpossible to achieve a D*DD or DDD?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by rida886
My apologies, I should’ve specified, I am doing an extended programme qualification. And yes is itpossible to achieve a D*DD or DDD?

No worries. Yes, it's possible.

Let's talk about points. Every BTEC unit you do earns you points, depending on the size of each unit and the grade (or mark) you get. The optional units (which are all coursework based) are smallest, at 60 guided learning hours (GLH) each; a distinction in one of those earns you 16 points. All the mandatory coursework units are 90 GLH; a distinction in one of those gets you 24 points. The external (exam-based) units are more tricky because the points are based upon your mark not just your grade (and they vary in size). So if you just scraped a pass in Unit 3 (Science Investigation Skills), you'd get 12 points but if you almost got a merit you'd get 19 points. That's quite a difference. Anyway, the reason points are important is that it is points (not unit grades) which decide your overall grade. For a DDD you need total of 216 points; for a D*DD you need 234 points.

If you were to just scrape a pass in each external (examined) unit, but get a distinction is every internal (coursework) unit you'd end up with DDM overall. But the chances that in each of the four exams you only just scraped through is pretty slim. You'd only need to get slightly above the pass mark in three of them to get a DDD overall.

Do you know the mark you got in the two exams you did last year?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
No worries. Yes, it's possible.

Let's talk about points. Every BTEC unit you do earns you points, depending on the size of each unit and the grade (or mark) you get. The optional units (which are all coursework based) are smallest, at 60 guided learning hours (GLH) each; a distinction in one of those earns you 16 points. All the mandatory coursework units are 90 GLH; a distinction in one of those gets you 24 points. The external (exam-based) units are more tricky because the points are based upon your mark not just your grade (and they vary in size). So if you just scraped a pass in Unit 3 (Science Investigation Skills), you'd get 12 points but if you almost got a merit you'd get 19 points. That's quite a difference. Anyway, the reason points are important is that it is points (not unit grades) which decide your overall grade. For a DDD you need total of 216 points; for a D*DD you need 234 points.

If you were to just scrape a pass in each external (examined) unit, but get a distinction is every internal (coursework) unit you'd end up with DDM overall. But the chances that in each of the four exams you only just scraped through is pretty slim. You'd only need to get slightly above the pass mark in three of them to get a DDD overall.

Do you know the mark you got in the two exams you did last year?

No, i don't know how many marks i exactly got in the unit 1 and 3 exam, however i will find out and let you know. Thank you so much for this :smile:
Original post by rida886
No, i don't know how many marks i exactly got in the unit 1 and 3 exam, however i will find out and let you know. Thank you so much for this :smile:

You're very welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending