The Student Room Group

Career change business and law to engineering

Are 29 year olds likely to be successful in acquiring an offer for degree apprenticeships in engineering?

I have looked at Airbus and MBDA as my top choices to apply to.

I’m looking to go back to college after graduating with first class honours in business management, a distinction in a postgraduate diploma in law, and will have a distinction in computer science MSc.

I’d like to become a Mechatronics Engineer and have been self teaching. I love physics and mechanics and I want to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering as a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma whilst working.

My worry is once I finish the diploma, will my age be against me as I will have just turned 29 when I complete the course.

Any advice or insight in to engineering degree apprenticeships would be amazing, specifically around AirBus, MBDA, AWE or Rolls Royce?
Original post by Maturestudent297
Are 29 year olds likely to be successful in acquiring an offer for degree apprenticeships in engineering?

I have looked at Airbus and MBDA as my top choices to apply to.

I’m looking to go back to college after graduating with first class honours in business management, a distinction in a postgraduate diploma in law, and will have a distinction in computer science MSc.

I’d like to become a Mechatronics Engineer and have been self teaching. I love physics and mechanics and I want to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering as a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma whilst working.

My worry is once I finish the diploma, will my age be against me as I will have just turned 29 when I complete the course.

Any advice or insight in to engineering degree apprenticeships would be amazing, specifically around AirBus, MBDA, AWE or Rolls Royce?

The degree apprenticeship routes are ok - but they do somewhat pigeon hole your options as an engineer, more to the technology integration & support rather then innovation roles. But going the conventional route gives you no guarantee of a role in that side of technology readiness either.

the BTEC path is not sufficient for enrolment onto most engineering degrees unless you have A-level maths as well. Not sure on degree apprenticeship - maybe fine for that pathway.

I don’t think age is an issue - companies care more for competence then age (ultimately people can leave after 2-3 years anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest