The Student Room Group

How do I work out my grade points

Does anyone know how can find what my grade points are, I saw someone in this website who said that you have to find out your grade points in order to calculate your grades.

Thanks
Original post by Thehustlerperso
Does anyone know how can find what my grade points are, I saw someone in this website who said that you have to find out your grade points in order to calculate your grades.

Thanks

Each unit in each BTEC is awarded a certain number of points.

For internal units (those assessed by coursework) the number of points is based upon the grade you achieve (pass, merit, distinction) and the size of the unit (in GLH, guided learning hours).

BTEC Unit Points - Internal.PNG
For example, a pass in a 120 GLH internal unit will earn you 12 points, whilst a distinction in a 60 GLH internal unit will earn you 16 points.

For external units (those assessed by exams) it's similar, but your actual exam mark comes into play too. So someone who just scraped a pass gets fewer points that someone who still got a pass but was almost at a merit.

BTEC Unit Points - External.PNG
So a pass in a 120 GLH external unit could earn you between 12 and 19 points (i..e just less that the 20 you'd get for a merit), depending on the mark you achieved (and the grade boundaries in effect for that exam in that year / season).

They then add-up all the points to decide what your overall grade will be. That could be from P to D*D*D*, depending on the BTEC.

If you want further help with working our your grade, please let us know:
Your BTEC subject (Applied Science, Business, etc.)
Your BTEC size (Extended Certificate, Diploma, Extended Diploma, etc.)
Each grade you achieved and the unit number in which you achieved it. (The unit number is important as then we can lookup whether it was internal or external, and lookup its GLH.)
(If you know the mark you got for any exam, and when you took it, that'd be great - but most people don't know that).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

For internal units (those assessed by coursework) the number of points is based upon the grade you achieve (pass, merit, distinction) and the size of the unit (in GLH, guided learning hours).

For example, a pass in a 120 GLH internal unit will earn you 12 points, whilst a distinction in a 60 GLH internal unit will earn you 16 points.

For external units (those assessed by exams) it's similar, but your actual exam mark comes into play too. So someone who just scraped a pass gets fewer points that someone who still got a pass but was almost at a merit.

So a pass in a 120 GLH external unit could earn you between 12 and 19 points (i..e just less that the 20 you'd get for a merit), depending on the mark you achieved (and the grade boundaries in effect for that exam in that year / season).

They then add-up all the points to decide what your overall grade will be. That could be from P to D*D*D*, depending on the BTEC.

Each grade you achieved and the unit number in which you achieved it. (The unit number is important as then we can lookup whether it was internal or external, and lookup its GLH.)
(If you know the mark you got for any exam, and when you took it, that'd be great - but most people don't know that).

thank you very much for your response, I really is very much appreciated. I recall speaking to my teacher about grade points and he responded by asking me what I meant by grade point , as from that conversation I had with him I am assuming that the term 'grade points' not a widely used phrase. what I mean by grade points is what this user meant by it:

https://www thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread .php?t=3411577&goto=lastpost

So I was just to double check is that what you meant by it when you responded to my post

thank you very much
Original post by ad450805
thank you very much for your response, I really is very much appreciated. I recall speaking to my teacher about grade points and he responded by asking me what I meant by grade point , as from that conversation I had with him I am assuming that the term 'grade points' not a widely used phrase. what I mean by grade points is what this user meant by it:

https://www thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread .php?t=3411577&goto=lastpost

So I was just to double check is that what you meant by it when you responded to my post

thank you very much

You're referring to a thread which is eight years old; BTEC have changed a lot since then. I also can't comment on what someone else mean by the term (especially as you've referenced an entire thread, not an individual post).

Can we turn this around? Why are you trying to establish your "grade points"? What do expect to learn having calculated them?

I've provided a mechanism by which you can calculate the points you have gained in each unit. These are primarily based upon the size and grade in that unit. Is that what you were trying to achieve?
Reply 4

First and foremost and on a side note I Don't know how this website works. yesterday I sent a lot of messages to someone not knowing they where being examined for review. so If your confused I hope that Clarifies your confusion

too bee real I've come across a few problems and I would just want to ask a few questions

I'm trying to see what grade I will get if I get all D's this year. I don't want to settle with' 'walking up to teachers and then being told an estimate they got from the top of their head. here are all the problems I've come across.

just by looking at the first table I cant really tell my the specific amounts of points I have. this because you said ''So someone who just scraped a pass gets fewer points that someone who still got a pass but was almost at a merit'' would that be the case for assignments as well?
in essence , - my question is how do find out my specific points?

regarding knowing the the grade boundaries for this year , I'm guessing I wont be able to so I'm thinking of estimating the grade boundaries by looking at how they are on the previous years and try to create a list of possibilities

and that brings me to my last questions , how do I see the grade bounders from the last previous years, are they even something worth any significance when I'm trying to calculate my grade as specifically a possible and what would you do about the problem of not knowing the grade bounties if you where I my place?

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your response , not many people take time out of their day to help someone like you have helped me, I really appreciate your help
too bee real I've come across a few problems and I would just want to ask a few questions

I'm trying to see what grade I will get if I get all D's this year. I don't want to settle with' 'walking up to teachers and then being told an estimate they got from the top of their head. here are all the problems I've come across.

just by looking at the first table I cant really tell my the specific amounts of points I have. this because you said ''So someone who just scraped a pass gets fewer points that someone who still got a pass but was almost at a merit'' would that be the case for assignments as well?
in essence , - my question is how do find out my specific points?

regarding knowing the the grade boundaries for this year , I'm guessing I wont be able to so I'm thinking of estimating the grade boundaries by looking at how they are on the previous years and try to create a list of possibilities

and that brings me to my last questions , how do I see the grade bounders from the last previous years, are they even something worth any significance when I'm trying to calculate my grade as specifically a possible and what would you do about the problem of not knowing the grade bounties if you where I my place?

What Pearson/BTEC call internal units - the ones assessed by coursework/assignments - always have their points based upon the size of the unit (in GLH) and the grade you're awarded.

My comment that "someone who just scraped a pass gets fewer points that someone who still got a pass but was almost at a merit'" only applies to external units - i.e. the units assess by exams.

For any exams which you have taken, do you know the mark which you achieved? If you don't you can't work out you points. All you can do is either pick the mid-point in the range of points you might have achieved for that grade, or assume the worst (lowest points for the grade) or the best (highest points for that grade).

Grade boundaries are of no use to you unless you you know you marks. Do you know your marks for any exams you've taken?
Reply 6
You're referring to a thread which is eight years old; BTEC have changed a lot since then. I also can't comment on what someone else mean by the term (especially as you've referenced an entire thread, not an individual post).

Can we turn this around? Why are you trying to establish your "grade points"? What do expect to learn having calculated them?

I've provided a mechanism by which you can calculate the points you have gained in each unit. These are primarily based upon the size and grade in that unit. Is that what you were trying to achieve?

this message just popped up on my computer know because the page wasn't refreshed
to answer your questions

I'm trying to establish my grade pints because I'm trying to calculate the grade will get if i get all D's this year. it is my final yea of collage and I want to know what I could be allowed to be applied into

if by points you mean the 'grade points that the first person on the thread that goes by the name I'm liquid .then, yes That's what I intent in on looking for

(edited 5 months ago)
this message just popped up on my computer know because the page wasn't refreshed
to answer your questions

I'm trying to establish my grade pints because I'm trying to calculate the grade will get if i get all D's this year. it is my final yea of collage and I want to know what I could be allowed to be applied into

if by points you mean the 'grade points that the first person on the thread that goes by the name I'm liquid .then, yes That's what I intent in on looking for

Understood. The best and easiest way to establish your likely grade (and minimum/maximum grade) is to answer the questions I asked earlier:

Without that information it gets a LOT more complicated to explain, as I have to say "If you're doing this BTEC, do this, if you're doing that unit, do that."
Reply 8
unit name: B-tec Applied science (extended diploma)
unit 1 GHL
UNIT 1 = 90/90 120
unit 3 = I don't know 120
unit 5 = 120/120 120
unit 7 = 50/50 120

EVREY ASSSGIHMENT I GOT WAS A PASS
(edited 5 months ago)
unit name: B-tec Applied science (extended diploma)
unit 1 GHL
UNIT 1 = 90/90 120
unit 3 = I don't know 120
unit 5 = 120/120 120
unit 7 = 50/50 120

Excellent. Thank you.

The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science is comprised of 13 units, 4 of which are external (exam-based). Those four external units are the ones you've listed above:

Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science I (90 GLH) - exam is marked out of 90
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills (120 GLH) - exam is marked out of 60
Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II (120 GLH) - exam is marked out of 120
Unit 7: Contemporary Issues in Science (120 GLH) - exam is marked out of 50

I note that you have suggested above that Unit 1 is 120 GLH. According to pages 5 and 27 of the specification (here), it is 90 GLH.

When you say 90/90, 120/120 and 50/50 are you saying that those are your exam marks? So you obtained full marks in each of Unit 1, Unit 5 and Unit 7? If so, then you don't need to know the grade boundaries, as you get maximum points for maximum marks. Unit 1 is 90 GLH, so that gets you 24 points. Unit 5 and Unit 7 are each 120 GLH so they get you 32 points each. Between these three exams you therefore have a total of 88 points.

You know the points for your internal (coursework-based) units, because we went through that in post #2. Once you add up all the points you have, and your own estimates of the points from this year, look them up in the table below to establish you likely overall grade:

BTEC Nationals - Extended Diploma - Points Threshold per Grade.jpg

My guess is that you'll be D*D*D*. :smile:

If I've misunderstood the "90/90, 120/120 and 50/50" in your post, or you need any additional help, just shout.
Reply 10
I 've got a few quest

1. I've added all my grades and got 14,070 that seems a bit too much 😕 , no?
it seems as it I just miscalculated drastically. . the concern coming from the fact that unit 2 , 8 , 4 , 15 where all passes. all passes but i got 1407 from adding all of them

here is my calculation:
ignore the little starts btw

*unit 5 *= 32 x 120= 3 8 40
unit7 = 32 X 120 = 38 40
* UNIT 1 =*********24 X 90 = 2160
ADD UNIT 3 (* 120 X 12 )* = 11 280

UNIT 4 = 90 X 9*********************************************************************************************************************
UNIT 8 =* 60* X 9***********************************************************************
UNIT 15 = 60 X 6
UNIT 2 = 90 X 9 (810 *EACH FOR **2 AND 4 AND 8 = ***2 430) *ADD UNIT 15 = *2 790

**11 280 + *2 790 = 14,070

the reason why my grades are maxed out is because I just wanted to know what i would get, Just a guess. could you you please tell me how I can calulcute the grade points for the exams so I could experiment further
(edited 5 months ago)
I 've got a few quest

1. I've added all my grades and got 14,070 that seems a bit too much 😕 , no?
it seems as it I just miscalculated drastically. . the concern coming from the fact that unit 2 , 8 , 4 , 15 where all passes. all passes but i got 1407 from adding all of them

here is my calculation:
ignore the little starts btw

*unit 5 *= 32 x 120= 3 8 40
unit7 = 32 X 120 = 38 40
* UNIT 1 =*********24 X 90 = 2160
ADD UNIT 3 (* 120 X 12 )* = 11 280

UNIT 4 = 90 X 9*********************************************************************************************************************
UNIT 8 =* 60* X 9***********************************************************************
UNIT 15 = 60 X 6
UNIT 2 = 90 X 9 (810 *EACH FOR **2 AND 4 AND 8 = ***2 430) *ADD UNIT 15 = *2 790

**11 280 + *2 790 = 14,070

the reason why my grades are maxed out is because I just wanted to know what i would get, Just a guess. could you you please tell me how I can calulcute the grade points for the exams so I could experiment further

You shouldn't be multiplying by the GLH.

For example: For unit 5, which is a 120 GLH external unit, the maximum number of points you can get, if you were to achieve a distinction in that unit, is 32 points.

Try the same process again, but without multiplying by GLH and see what you get.

Grade points for exams are hard to calculate. They are based on the mark you achieved, and the grade boundaries for that unit (which can vary from year to year).

First, you lookup the grade boundaries either side of the mark you obtained. Then you establish the distance between those boundaries in marks, and how far through that your own mark was.

Then you take that same distance and apply it to the points for those two boundaries. Easy, eh? :wink:

Let me try with an example. Suppose were talking about an exam for a 120 GLH unit. Suppose the exam was out of 50 marks, with the merit boundary boundary at 30 and the distinction boundary at 40. Now suppose you scored 35 - exactly half way between the two boundaries. So your points would be exactly half way between the points for a merit and the points for a distinction.

We know (from way back in post #2) that a merit in a 120 GLH external unit gets you 20 points, and that a distinction gets you 32 points. The mid point between those is 26 - so that's what you'd get. (Not 26 x 120, just 26.)

Does that help?

BTW, do you have access to Microsoft Excel? If so, Pearson have a spreadsheet you can download which will do some of this for you. (It won't work out your exam points though - you have to enter those - but it will work out your overall grade from your unit grades.)
Reply 12
as much as I'm slightly confused on how someone can finish of the year with a D D D with that much passes. my real concern is that. I am afraid that I might end the year only to find out (no offence to you of course ) you have given me outdated tables or that that the grade boundaries change (is that a problem by the way )

by the way I really do apreincete your help, If I was not financially dependent I would pay you brother
(edited 5 months ago)
as much as I'm slightly confused on how someone can finish of the year with a D D D with that much passes. my real concern is that. I am afraid that I might end the year only to find out (no offence to you of course ) you have given me outdated tables or that that the grade boundaries change (is that a problem by the way )

by the way I really do apreincete your help, If I was not financially dependent I would pay you brother

No offence taken. You seem intent on working things out yourself rather than just telling us what units you've done, and what grades (or marks) you've got. That's admirable in a way, but also means that neither of us actually know what your final grade is likely to be. Anyway, best of luck. I hope things work out the way you want them to.
Reply 14
No offence taken. You seem intent on working things out yourself rather than just telling us what units you've done, and what grades (or marks) you've got. That's admirable in a way, but also means that neither of us actually know what your final grade is likely to be. Anyway, best of luck. I hope things work out the way you want them to.

my ba, I thought I have sent them to you

All P'S I got :
unit 2 and unit 4 = GLH 60
unit 8 and unit 15 = GHLH 90
unit 3 = 120GHL lets assume i just scraped a pass
All D'S I hope to get:
unit 6 = GLH90
unit 17,14,12,21 = 60 GLH
unit 1, 5 (120GHL) = lets assume I scraped a D

WORKINGS OUT:
https://youtu.be/oqSem8pj_M8?si=IaXws8heU4aA-2e-

this happens a lot when people normally have a conversation, when a person asks a question then the other person changes the topic of the conversation, the original question will eventually be forgotten and I don't want that to happen. Just are reminder
(edited 5 months ago)
my ba, I thought I have sent them to you

All P'S I got :
unit 2 and unit 4 = GLH 60
unit 8 and unit 15 = GHLH 90
unit 3 = 120GHL lets assume i just scraped a pass
All D'S I hope to get:
unit 6 = GLH90
unit 17,14,12,21 = 60 GLH
unit 1, 5 (120GHL) = lets assume I scraped a D

WORKINGS OUT:
https://youtu.be/oqSem8pj_M8?si=IaXws8heU4aA-2e-

this happens a lot when people normally have a conversation, when a person asks a question then the other person changes the topic of the conversation, the original question will eventually be forgotten and I don't want that to happen. Just are reminder

You haven't mentioned Unit 7 (Contemporary Issues in Science), which is a mandatory unit. I've assumed you just scraped a Merit.

Please check I've copied your grades (or assumed grades) into the below correctly. If I have (and if you just scrape a Merit for Unit 7), then you'd should be getting a DDM overall.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Applied Science - ad450805 - DDM.JPG

(By the way, with regards to your observation that "when a person asks a question then the other person changes the topic of the conversation, the original question will eventually be forgotten", I find that only happens when people are trying to hide something. I originally asked you for your unit grades in post #2, 5 days ago. I then asked again, in bold, in post #8, 3 days ago. That fact that it's taken until now to provide them simply made me assume you explicitly didn't want to provide them for some reason.)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending