The Student Room Group

Civil service interview. Struggled to answer a competency

Hi. I scored a 6 for my pre interview report and I felt I did a strong interview bar one competency where I waffled an answer but really struggled. Is it possible to get a HEO role but doing badly in one competency, it was so bad I apologised after 🙈
Original post by Aidan765
Hi. I scored a 6 for my pre interview report and I felt I did a strong interview bar one competency where I waffled an answer but really struggled. Is it possible to get a HEO role but doing badly in one competency, it was so bad I apologised after 🙈

They will have a benchmark of what is classed as a pass and what isnt.

If for example, it was marked as 7 questions, with a total of 7 marks available giving a total of 49, their pass might be say 39

So if you scored 7 on 6 of the questions (42/49) and then on one question scored 4 giving you a total of (46/49), they shouldn't then rule you out.

I remember seeing a break down for EO level and it was like out of 7 in total 4 and upwards was a pass. The only thing that might be looked at is if you scored zero or 1 on a question as it shows you have no experience or knowledge on that behavior.

Were you answering the question at all? Waffling can work 1 of 2 ways, either you waffle enough you finally say something right, or you waffle so much about the wrong thing you lose track and get nothing

check this link out https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/civil-service-interview-scoring-sheet
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending