The Student Room Group

Gap Year Medics

Hey just wanted to ask what kind of part time jobs people are doing for those who are on a gap year to apply to medicine, dentistry or any other course!

Currently, on one and quite stuck as I have an offer for med but really need to be earning money and don't know what good jobs I could do with 6 months left of my gap year

Advice/any insight is highly appreciated!!
Reply 1
anyone?
Original post by Idk131
Hey just wanted to ask what kind of part time jobs people are doing for those who are on a gap year to apply to medicine, dentistry or any other course!

Currently, on one and quite stuck as I have an offer for med but really need to be earning money and don't know what good jobs I could do with 6 months left of my gap year

I am in yr13 so I don’t have the best advice but in my personal opinion, i would say you already have the offer so maybe just look for any job, for example sales assistant or working in a cafe or something similar because it would just give you a chance to earn money and also a bit of experience with people
But perhaps you could also look for health care assistant jobs, cause i have heard they are full of useful experience, the only problem with that is it would be less likely for them to hire you if u say you are only doing for 6 months.
good luck!
Original post by Idk131

Hi there,

With your courses of interest being Medicine and Dentistry, these usually have very high expectations when a gap year is taken and they like to see that you did something productive and impactful with your time before pursuing the course.

For this reason a lot of students look to volunteer in care homes, as nurses, and attempt to shadow doctors and GPs if the opportunity presents itself. I know you specifically asked about paying roles here, volunteering in those capacities can certainly be a way into a paid opportunity.

Of course, this next bit I am slightly bias, but I'm telling you more for knowledge purposes: When I took my gap year in tutoring I knew lots of people who were reapplying to medicine that year. By doing a paid tutoring role whilst they studied it gave them a great boost into the next steps on their course, as they could talk in depth about the impact on their community. I'm sure there many gap year programmes that are paid opportunities with impactful work, separate from what I currently do.

In short, if you're doing something impactful, caring and compassionate with your time, Uni's love to see candidates with these qualities on your personal statement when applying for a compassionate course, like you are. My advice would be to volunteer for something you can use for your career in medicine/dentistry, volunteering shows you're willing to help for no monetary gain. I would also consider looking into a part-time job to earn some of that money you were wanting and making sure that the area of the role you apply for has applications to the course you want to study.

I hope this helps!

Ethan
Original post by Idk131

Hey, congrats on your offer… I have one too. I’ve been working at a GP practice and earning some pretty good money tbh. Not sure 6 months is enough tho but it’s worth a try
Original post by Anonymous_7871
Hey, congrats on your offer… I have one too. I’ve been working at a GP practice and earning some pretty good money tbh. Not sure 6 months is enough tho but it’s worth a try
Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you working as at the GP?
Thanks!
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you working as at the GP?
Thanks!
Patient services assistant, so essentially member of the admin team. We basically run the practice. So work on reception, book appointments, take calls etc

Quick Reply

Latest