The Student Room Group

How to revise for science

Going back to school for year 11 and I’ve never properly studied science does anyone have any tips on how to revise for them?
For initially learning the content dont be afraid to ask questions, there's a high chance everyone else in the class is wondering too - seriously ENGAGE with the lesson, if you're stuck at one point thats going to effect the rest because there's a lot of synopticity in science. Youtube videos are great too, I know Miss estruch does A level biology videos but I think she may do some for GCSE too, if not Biology with Olivia definately does and of course freesciencelessons guy is always a god send.

For revision:
Blurting - Writing as much as you can remember about a certain topic and then using your notes/textbook to cross reference and see if you're correct, the areas you are wrong write over in another colour - this should not be neat and is literally just blurting out everything you know. You can time yourself if you struggle with timing in exams too! Unjaded Jade has a nice video explaining this.

Flash cards - again, there's a lot of content so another form of active recall, just test you know all the content.

Past paper questions, many of the science specifications (especially biology) are very particular in what they want you to say, the earlier you start these, the sooner you'll pick up what the examiners want.

Ask you teacher for a specification copy so you can tick off the area you know and focus on those you dont.

Also don't leave revision until the last minute, if you want to succeed then get at it early.
Original post by lucyswillow
Going back to school for year 11 and I’ve never properly studied science does anyone have any tips on how to revise for them?

Don't feel overwhelmed with the content, because you can slowly go through topic by topic and you still have time.

I suggest starting off with looking at video explanations of each topic - go to cognito, if you don't understand the topic at all and go to freesciencelessons once you've understood most of it, take brief notes of everything within that topic.

Then afterwards make summary notes (preferably one A4 page per topic), using your specification too (just type up your exam board name, subject and specification at the end, it will be free to download.

Then go and do practice questions - I use PMT and MME revise, they have so many and some questions from MME revise actually came up in my end of topic tests, so defo worth a look.

If you get any questions wrong, note down the mark scheme, for future reference.

That's mostly what I would suggest you do, but there's so many ways you can also revise - you can do blurting as @Student2011584 mentioned (writing down anything you remember from a topic and seeing what you've missed by referring to your notes), you can use flashcards (a question on one side and an answer on the other side), you can use posters and mindmaps if you want something more visual and lots more, so keep exploring.
Science is one of those subjects where, once you understand the exam technique, it gets better every time!
I hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest