The Student Room Group

Would deffering for a year to resit affect my chances of getting into uni?

So I got my a level exam results today and they were nowhere near as high as expected. I was predicted an ABB and got ADD. I didn’t get into my firm choice but I did get into my insurance for engineering. However I am now getting major cold feet about my insurance choice as it is a very different environment and course to my firm choice. I am considering deferring for a year and entering myself as a private candidate to resit the two subjects I got a D in and try to re-apply to uni next year. I am quite happy with this plan but I am worried that this may affect my chances of getting I. to uni next year, if it doesn’t how would I go about re-applying with ucas?

Edit: I would also like to point out that my insurance choice is in London so there is also a financial element in there. I like the idea of taking a year out to save up some more money for uni since I’ve now got a glimpse of how expensive it actually is.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
hey i resat this year and its most likely not going to affect your application! it didnt for me and i applied for pharmacy, but just make sure to look at the unis youre thinking of applying to and see whether they see you just as another candidate or if theyre a bit weary on it.
you would also have to apply to ucas on your own but ask your old school to help you w references and if possible if they are able to give you predicted grades. i decided to go back into school to resit so had my teachers help me w those so im not too sure how it would work resitting privately. those 2 things were the things that made me choose to resit at skl. good luck w resitting you will do great :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jwalker109685
So I got my a level exam results today and they were nowhere near as high as expected. I was predicted an ABB and got ADD. I didn’t get into my firm choice but I did get into my insurance for engineering. However I am now getting major cold feet about my insurance choice as it is a very different environment and course to my firm choice. I am considering deferring for a year and entering myself as a private candidate to resit the two subjects I got a D in and try to re-apply to uni next year. I am quite happy with this plan but I am worried that this may affect my chances of getting I. to uni next year, if it doesn’t how would I go about re-applying with ucas?

Edit: I would also like to point out that my insurance choice is in London so there is also a financial element in there. I like the idea of taking a year out to save up some more money for uni since I’ve now got a glimpse of how expensive it actually is.

It varies a bit depending on subject and uni but in general for engineering this shouldn't be a problem.

If you have just left school or college, they should be able to offer you some help with taking your resits there, using them as your UCAS centre and providing a UCAS reference again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending