The Student Room Group

A level resits and ucas

Hi could someone help me out by answering these questions I have:

1) If I don’t get the grades for my uni choices can I defer the offer onto next year so i can resit a levels or do I have to make a new ucas application?

2) if I resit as a private candidate who could I use as ucas referee/advisor (ideally not a past teacher)

3) do you have to tell ucas you are resitting when making a new application - what grades do you put in because if you are a private candidate you don’t have a teacher giving predicted grades?
Original post by Js1223

1) If I don’t get the grades for my uni choices can I defer the offer onto next year so i can resit a levels or do I have to make a new ucas application?

2) if I resit as a private candidate who could I use as ucas referee/advisor (ideally not a past teacher)

3) do you have to tell ucas you are resitting when making a new application - what grades do you put in because if you are a private candidate you don’t have a teacher giving predicted grades?

Hi there.

Q3: You must declare all grades on UCAS including any failed/resat grades. The ones you are to resit can be declared as "pending".

@artful_lounger or @Admit-One could help with the first two Qs as I'm not entirely sure. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Js1223

You can only request to defer a confirmed place to the next year, not a conditional offer.
Original post by Js1223

It would either be a personal tutor who was comfortable providing them, or your previous school would typically hold one on record.

The reference is the least important part of an undergraduate application. So long as it's broadly positive, it'll tick the box.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
You can only request to defer a confirmed place to the next year, not a conditional offer.

It would either be a personal tutor who was comfortable providing them, or your previous school would typically hold one on record.

The reference is the least important part of an undergraduate application. So long as it's broadly positive, it'll tick the box.

Hi so basically my school doesnt accept private candidtades so i cannot resot with them,
So i am looking for other places. However, i dont know who will fill out my predicted grades and references could i ask one of my school teachers to do it for me even though i would be resiting my a levels somewhere esle?
Original post by Js1223

Do you have a 6th form college where you could do resits. You could have predicted grades from them or your previos school and if your in a college they will assist you hopefully to improve your grades.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Do you have a 6th form college where you could do resits. You could have predicted grades from them or your previos school and if your in a college they will assist you hopefully to improve your grades.

I’m currently in 6th form but I think I will have to resit but I want to do it as a private candidate where I learn the content at my own pace from home then I would take the exams at my current 6th form. This is why I don’t know where I would get a ucas reference or predicted grades.
What if you do the same/ worse on the resat grade can I only put my better old grade on ucas?
Original post by benjoseph
What if you do the same/ worse on the resat grade can I only put my better old grade on ucas?

No, you have to list both.
Reply 8
Original post by Js1223

1) No. You can't 'hold over' an offer if you dont meet it this year and that Uni rejects you, you would have to reapply.
2) Why do you need to resit privately? Most schools will allow you to just enter for the exam, and apply to UCAS through their portal even whilst on a gap/resit year - and will happily write your reference and provide a predicted grade. Don't make life difficult for yourself when ou dont need to.
3) Yes - you must declare all your achieved grades even if you are resitting them. And dont think you can deceive UCAS or the Unis, they have several different ways of spotting this sort of 'omission'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending