The Student Room Group

What do you think about going on holiday with a bf/gf you've been seeing for a year?

Had this convo with my friend today. It'll be really interesting to hear what other people think. Personally think 1 year is too soon and I'd feel more comfortable with at least 4 years of dating before going on a holiday with them alone.
Don't see a problem with it
Reply 2
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
Don't see a problem with it

You don't think 1 year is too soon? Especially considering there can be some pretty sick people out there :s-smilie:
Original post by Pxnyl_
You don't think 1 year is too soon? Especially considering there can be some pretty sick people out there :s-smilie:

No sir

Are you insinuating that either party could be taken advantage of? Not sure if that's what you're getting at :holmes:
Original post by Pxnyl_

Which is why it's a good idea to have someone you (hopefully) trust and are comfortable with coming with you instead of going all by yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by Pxnyl_
Had this convo with my friend today. It'll be really interesting to hear what other people think. Personally think 1 year is too soon and I'd feel more comfortable with at least 4 years of dating before going on a holiday with them alone.

surely 1 year is enough time to know you'd be ok going w ur bf/gf on holiday alone? if ur saying one of them would do smth to the other, what's stopping them from doing that when ur alone tgth and not on holiday?? u should feel safe around ur bf/gf and know they wouldnt do anything to u regardless if ur on holiday or not lmao

or like if it's not abt that after a year of dating u've probably spent lots of time alone w them already, then i dont see why it would b so different on holiday, it's the same but now ur out in a diff country.
Reply 6
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
No sir

Are you insinuating that either party could be taken advantage of? Not sure if that's what you're getting at :holmes:

Original post by SagaciousSag
Which is why it's a good idea to have someone you (hopefully) trust and are comfortable with coming with you instead of going all by yourself.

Original post by zwłoki998
surely 1 year is enough time to know you'd be ok going w ur bf/gf on holiday alone? if ur saying one of them would do smth to the other, what's stopping them from doing that when ur alone tgth and not on holiday?? u should feel safe around ur bf/gf and know they wouldnt do anything to u regardless if ur on holiday or not lmao

or like if it's not abt that after a year of dating u've probably spent lots of time alone w them already, then i dont see why it would b so different on holiday, it's the same but now ur out in a diff country.

This is really interesting to see, I think I'm more against it because I come from quite a strict family that wouldn't allow going alone with my bf if we've only dated for a year. I was thinking that at least if they were to do something at home, you would have support around you to go to for safety, but if you're alone with them in a foreign country, you're a lot more vulnerable and there's no telling if police will be able to protect you so well. I think I've been watching too many crime documentaries to be honest XD
My girlfriend and I went on holiday together about 2-3 months into our relationship. We had a fantastic time.
Meh, it depends. I'd think nothing of a weekend/week trip somewhere local-ish, but I'd maybe be a bit more wary of a 2-4 week long haul super expensive or super family thing, ots of potential for mistakes and for a small spat to escalate.

If you don't already trust your partner to this extent after a year then give up, you won't suddenly trust them in 4 years.
Reply 9
Original post by Pxnyl_

How would you not be in a relationship and still only dating after a year, let alone 4?

If you haven't made your mind up to call it official and say he's your boyfriend after 12 months, you might as well not bother staying together. That is more than enough time to decide on someone.
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
How would you not be in a relationship and still only dating after a year, let alone 4?

If you haven't made your mind up to call it official and say he's your boyfriend after 12 months, you might as well not bother staying together. That is more than enough time to decide on someone.

Im confused? I said bf/gf and by dating I meant being in a relationship and not being married.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Pxnyl_
Im confused? I said bf/gf and by dating I meant being in a relationship and not being married.

Whilst some people use the Americanism of 'date night', if you're in a relationship you're beyond dating.
Reply 12
Original post by Surnia
Whilst some people use the Americanism of 'date night', if you're in a relationship you're beyond dating.

So it's wrong to say I've been 'dating' someone for a year even though we're in a solid relationship? What else am I supposed to say then?
Original post by Pxnyl_
So it's wrong to say I've been 'dating' someone for a year even though we're in a solid relationship? What else am I supposed to say then?

Meh, anything between meeting for a coffee and getting married can be classed as dating really, it's informal and means different things to other people, but to a many it's more the initial 'getting to know you' part.
Reply 14
Original post by Pxnyl_

That you're in a relationship. He's your boyfriend or partner, whichever term you prefer.
Reply 15
This is all very arbitrary. Real life doesn't fit into these nice little boxes or timeframes.

Quick Reply

Latest