The Student Room Group

Currently applying for an apprenticeship, what do I do?

Hi,

I’m in year 13 and I’m studying for my Alevels. Yesterday I applied to a Degree Apprenticeship (most likely the last one I’ll be able to apply for). I’ve submitted my application form and I’m waiting to hear back.

If I am successful to the next stage which is a video interview,
What should I do then prepare?
How should I structure my answers?
What do I do to make sure I’m confident?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Misshoneytae
Hi,

I’m in year 13 and I’m studying for my Alevels. Yesterday I applied to a Degree Apprenticeship (most likely the last one I’ll be able to apply for). I’ve submitted my application form and I’m waiting to hear back.

Why would it be "the last one [you'll] be able to apply for"?

I mean the best advice is always to research the company and make sure to find a good way to bring up some of the information in the interview.

I'd say dress smart, make sure you're in a well lit room, your camera is working and the interviewers can actually see your face. You don't want to start the interview by messing with your settings for 20 minutes. If you live with your family or room-mates tell them you have an interview at ... whatever time, and you CANNOT be disrupted.

Research common interview questions both general and for your specific industry. Prepare your answers in advance but don't memorize them, just make sure they won't catch you off guard with something simple like "tell me about yourself".
Hi,

use the STAR method (read online). create a google doc and just think of a question they might ask for each company value. for example if one of their core values is collaboration they might ask 'describe a time you worked in a team'

so under the core value 'innovation' do a bullet point for S T A R with a prompt for if you get stuck. and relate the result to skills that apply to the job/their goals. so make sure you know their goals too. please see one of my examples below. i interviewed for this company last week so havent heard back yet but have been successful in other degree apprenticeships this year.

Collaboration understanding, empowering
S university of cambridge stem smart residential
T difficult further maths and physics
A worked together to combine ideas
R solved challenging questions by breaking down into easier steps

also, this company scores my interview based off how well i demonstrate each company value in my experience. not sure how other firms do it but it must be something similar.
Reply 3
Original post by Mara1680
Why would it be "the last one [you'll] be able to apply for"?

I mean the best advice is always to research the company and make sure to find a good way to bring up some of the information in the interview.

I'd say dress smart, make sure you're in a well lit room, your camera is working and the interviewers can actually see your face. You don't want to start the interview by messing with your settings for 20 minutes. If you live with your family or room-mates tell them you have an interview at ... whatever time, and you CANNOT be disrupted.

Research common interview questions both general and for your specific industry. Prepare your answers in advance but don't memorize them, just make sure they won't catch you off guard with something simple like "tell me about yourself".

I think it will be the last one because a lot of the degree apprenticeships are closed and I’d probably have to wait till the next round.

Thank you so much for the help.
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
use the STAR method (read online). create a google doc and just think of a question they might ask for each company value. for example if one of their core values is collaboration they might ask 'describe a time you worked in a team'

so under the core value 'innovation' do a bullet point for S T A R with a prompt for if you get stuck. and relate the result to skills that apply to the job/their goals. so make sure you know their goals too. please see one of my examples below. i interviewed for this company last week so havent heard back yet but have been successful in other degree apprenticeships this year.

also, this company scores my interview based off how well i demonstrate each company value in my experience. not sure how other firms do it but it must be something similar.

Thank you so so much for this. I’m going to try my hardest and be the best I can be.
Reply 5
Original post by user8937264980

If I potentially mess up in my interview at one question, what do I do from there?
If I potentially mess up in my interview at one question, what do I do from there?

If you realise while answering say sorry do you mind if I start again and start again. If you realise after you've answered you could ask to add another point to what you said and then explain the right point or just move on and use that experience in another question (if it is a good experience that is worth not mentioning another one)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending