The Student Room Group

Do they care how much you write English Lang Paper 1 Q5?

I’m terrified for language paper 1 tomorrow as I’m so bad at the creative writing and I can be really slow. Does it really matter if say I only wrote 1.5 pages (maybe 2 if I’m lucky) or about 4 paragraphs say but the writing is high quality? It just seems so daunting because it’s 40 marks but I’ve literally seen some model answers where they only wrote 3 paragraphs and got a 9. I’ve also seen a lot of people say Q5 is a bit weird in the sense it looks like they’re expecting loads but they’re not (if that makes sense). To put it simply is it quality over quantity?

Also (I know this is a bit late but) if anyone knows where I can find some model answers that are grade 6 level or they have some they can share, and they could let me know it would be much appreciated. I’ve tried looking online but it only ever comes up with higher grade ones. Grade 6 is more realistic for me so would be helpful if I can compare them with my own writing to see where I am. Also how many marks /40 should you be looking to get if you want at least grade 6?

Thank you : )
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by user01906002
I’m terrified for language paper 1 tomorrow as I’m so bad at the creative writing and I can be really slow. Does it really matter if say I only wrote 1.5 pages (maybe 2 if I’m lucky) or about 4 paragraphs say but the writing is high quality? It just seems so daunting because it’s 40 marks but I’ve literally seen some model answers where they only wrote 3 paragraphs and got a 9. I’ve also seen a lot of people say Q5 is a bit weird in the sense it looks like they’re expecting loads but they’re not (if that makes sense). To put it simply is it quality over quantity?

Also (I know this is a bit late but) if anyone knows where I can find some model answers that are grade 6 level or they have some they can share, and they could let me know it would be much appreciated. I’ve tried looking online but it only ever comes up with higher grade ones. Grade 6 is more realistic for me so would be helpful if I can compare them with my own writing to see where I am. Also how many marks /40 should you be looking to get if you want at least grade 6?

It's better to write three high quality paragraphs than 6 terribly written paragraphs.
Reply 2
Hi,

A grade 6 typically is around 48/80. Therefore, we are looking at needing:

Q1: 4/4
Q2: 5/8
Q3: 5/8
Q4: 12/20
Q5: 24/40 (14/24 and 10/16)

This will give you 50 marks, securing you a 6!

Also, for question 5 it is definitely about quality rather than quantity. The following document has marked answers with reasoning for that mark. There is one which received 25 marks (grade 6 level)

https://missdaviesblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/paper-1-q5-example-responses.pdf

I am happy to mark anything if you would like!

Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by user01906002

Hi there,

I'm not sure about grade 6 but for tomorrow I've been working hard to get 70+ hopefully. I have some example marked answers from Aqa if that helps and I'd be happy to send them to you as it does not let me attach files this large. feel free to message me for the papers

for q5, don't be scared. they are looking for some things which I will state here:

1) a cyclical structure. make sure you memorise the first paragraph and last paragraph so that you have that circular structure. it also helps as regardless of the question, u can adapt it to go to any setting using memories or flashbacks

2) memorise some advanced vocabulary for happy sad angry calm, such as euphoric (happy) or serene (calm)

3) make sure you use all punctuation and CORRECTLY. semi-colons and colons especially. ellipsis.

4) devices. devices. devices. similies metaphors personifications and all of them are as many as u can.

5) it has nothing to do with length or page count, make sure u have short, short one-sentence paragraphs as well and 2/3 pages is enough. quality over quantity

I have a paper that I have written and gotten marked as well if that helps.
q1 4/4
q2 7/8
q3 6/8
q4 16/20
q5 21/24 +12/16
total 66/80 which is a 9

if you need anything else feel free to reply :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Georgeallen
Hi,

Also, for question 5 it is definitely about quality rather than quantity. The following document has marked answers with reasoning for that mark. There is one which received 25 marks (grade 6 level)

https://missdaviesblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/paper-1-q5-example-responses.pdf

Good luck

Thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Original post by Tahannn
Hi there,

I'm not sure about grade 6 but for tomorrow I've been working hard to get 70+ hopefully. I have some example marked answers from Aqa if that helps and I'd be happy to send them to you as it does not let me attach files this large. feel free to message me for the papers

for q5, don't be scared. they are looking for some things which I will state here:

1) a cyclical structure. make sure you memorise the first paragraph and last paragraph so that you have that circular structure. it also helps as regardless of the question, u can adapt it to go to any setting using memories or flashbacks

2) memorise some advanced vocabulary for happy sad angry calm, such as euphoric (happy) or serene (calm)

3) make sure you use all punctuation and CORRECTLY. semi-colons and colons especially. ellipsis.

4) devices. devices. devices. similies metaphors personifications and all of them are as many as u can.

5) it has nothing to do with length or page count, make sure u have short, short one-sentence paragraphs as well and 2/3 pages is enough. quality over quantity

I have a paper that I have written and gotten marked as well if that helps.
q1 4/4
q2 7/8
q3 6/8
q4 16/20
q5 21/24 +12/16
total 66/80 which is a 9

if you need anything else feel free to reply :smile:

Thank you!!
Original post by Georgeallen
Hi,

Could u mark my Q5 story for Lang Paper 1 Q5, I adapted it by replacing the package with a dog but 95% is all the same, same vocab etc just a few words.

Left untouched and forsaken, I yearned for a glimmer of purpose. The chance to fulfill my destined role for which I have awaited for 5 years. I began to question myself, why hasn't anyone purchased me? Am I inadequate?

As I grew impatient and indignant, a miracle occurred. I was clutched from the shelf and deposited into the trolley to then be purchased. Beep, beep, beep! , the sound of an alarm went off, the lights blazed on. Euphoric, a shimmer of hope was awakened in me. Finally, someone purchased me and my destiny had been fulfilled. This was unprecedented for me, I was dumbfounded!.

Departing.

In the midst of my elation, I was getting prepared to be transported to my final destination. I felt like I was in a blissful spa-like experience; being pampered up, cleansed and sealed tight. I was in uncharted territory, as I finally experienced what I craved for the past 5 years; freedom. Serene and jubilant, we were ready to depart.

Exuberant

I ventured outside for the first time in years as I was scooped and placed into the remarkable, astonishing; mesmerizing Amazon Prime van. I felt gratified and fulfilled.

At the threshold of the van's motion, an Amazon employee came clamoring; "Stop, stop, there has been a mistake!". I froze like a statue. My legs were quivering, my heart trembling as I was being searched for in the gargantuan van. It had been confirmed that the order had been cancelled. Befuddled and startled, I was taken back to the store to retreat to my former, desolate life.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by adam9ezzedine
Could u mark my Q5 story for Lang Paper 1 Q5, I adapted it by replacing the package with a dog but 95% is all the same, same vocab etc just a few words.
Left untouched and forsaken, I yearned for a glimmer of purpose. The chance to fulfill my destined role for which I have awaited for 5 years. I began to question myself, why hasn't anyone purchased me? Am I inadequate?
As I grew impatient and indignant, a miracle occurred. I was clutched from the shelf and deposited into the trolley to then be purchased. Beep, beep, beep! , the sound of an alarm went off, the lights blazed on. Euphoric, a shimmer of hope was awakened in me. Finally, someone purchased me and my destiny had been fulfilled. This was unprecedented for me, I was dumbfounded!.
Departing.
In the midst of my elation, I was getting prepared to be transported to my final destination. I felt like I was in a blissful spa-like experience; being pampered up, cleansed and sealed tight. I was in uncharted territory, as I finally experienced what I craved for the past 5 years; freedom. Serene and jubilant, we were ready to depart.
Exuberant
I ventured outside for the first time in years as I was scooped and placed into the remarkable, astonishing; mesmerizing Amazon Prime van. I felt gratified and fulfilled.
At the threshold of the van's motion, an Amazon employee came clamoring; "Stop, stop, there has been a mistake!". I froze like a statue. My legs were quivering, my heart trembling as I was being searched for in the gargantuan van. It had been confirmed that the order had been cancelled. Befuddled and startled, I was taken back to the store to retreat to my former, desolate life.

What grade did you get for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending