The Student Room Group

deleted

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
I’m at the end of year 12, and throughout the year (from sep to march) I was consistently on top of everything, and doing well with all of my subjects. Then I had my end of years in April, and had a ‘mini’ crisis about my future around this time (Uni course, subjects etc), and since then I have not been able to actually get back on track. Thankfully I did really well in my exams, so my predicted grades will be solid, but the issue is I have so much to do and to think about (and my to do list would’ve been way shorter had I not wasted so much time everyday scrolling on forums and overthinking). My question is, how do I stop overthinking everything, dwelling on/regretting past life choices and start getting on with things again? I just want to get on with my work (as I have coursework to do, have to start my personal statement, have to revise past topics etc) but I have no motivation to do so, or if I try and get started the overthinking just comes back…Does anyone have any tips on how I can get back on track!? As it’s stressing me out even more and I feel overwhelmed. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Hi @bamsa,

We’ve all been in a similar situation before so try not to worry.

I would suggest making a quick list of all the things you’ve got coming up like university application, coursework, revision, etc., and put them in priority order in terms of time. For example, when is your coursework due, when is the UCAS deadline, so you can organise yourself a little bit. I find this helps me to de-stress as I can logically see what I’ve got to do and how long to do it.

Thinking about university, have you already looked at where you’d like to apply? I know this can be an overwhelming task of looking at so many universities, but If you sit down over summer and have a casual browse, look at university Instagram pages and websites, you might find it less stressful when you start year 13 as you’ve already got an idea of where you’d like to go. Plus, this can be great to bring back some motivation as you set yourself a goal to get into the university you want to go to.

If you’re still having some trouble with motivation and stress, I’d suggest doing work little and often so you don’t overwhelm yourself and start spiralling into overthinking. And remember to plan some activities that are irrelevant to your studies over the summer too, like meeting up with friends, so you can rest and have things to look forward too.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by bamsa
I’m at the end of year 12, and throughout the year (from sep to march) I was consistently on top of everything, and doing well with all of my subjects. Then I had my end of years in April, and had a ‘mini’ crisis about my future around this time (Uni course, subjects etc), and since then I have not been able to actually get back on track. Thankfully I did really well in my exams, so my predicted grades will be solid, but the issue is I have so much to do and to think about (and my to do list would’ve been way shorter had I not wasted so much time everyday scrolling on forums and overthinking). My question is, how do I stop overthinking everything, dwelling on/regretting past life choices and start getting on with things again? I just want to get on with my work (as I have coursework to do, have to start my personal statement, have to revise past topics etc) but I have no motivation to do so, or if I try and get started the overthinking just comes back…Does anyone have any tips on how I can get back on track!? As it’s stressing me out even more and I feel overwhelmed. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Heya!

We've all been in a similar situation so don't worry :h: To stop overthinking and regain focus, start by setting specific goals and breaking tasks into smaller steps. Create a routine to provide structure and minimise distractions, while practising mindfulness techniques to manage your thoughts. If the workload feels overwhelming, break each task into smaller, more manageable steps. Celebrate small accomplishments along the way to maintain motivation and a sense of progress!

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study MInd
Reply 3
Original post by bamsa
Thank you for the advice :smile: I’m sensing that the best way to get through this is breaking it down and moving through it in steps to make it more manageable. What do you mean by mindfulness techniques? As in breathing exercises etc?

Heya!
The mindfulness techniques are designed to help calm the mind, increase self-awareness, and cultivate a non-judgmental attitude towards one's thoughts and emotions :h: When I did exams, before opening the paper I would breathe in deeply and breathe out for a few seconds so I can calm my nerves (helped with managing stress and regain focus!). Here is an article (linked) that goes over some good techniques!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest