The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP - Doing an extra A-level during my gap year

I'm doing my maths, biology and psychology alevels right now and I applied for law but after I sent off my application I changed my mind and decided to take a gap year and apply for dentistry. I dont think im going to get good enough results for my maths A-level and I was wondering if I could do chemistry alevel in my gap year to make up for it? Will it be counted as retaking and will my bad grade in maths still affect my application a lot?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
are you in year 13 or on gap yr rn? have u sat any of ur a levels? definitely check uni entry requirements on their website because just off the top of my head i remember some unis specifying that you must have completed your a levels in a 2 year course- not retaking etc so be wary of that!
Reply 2
Original post by sb.xo
are you in year 13 or on gap yr rn? have u sat any of ur a levels? definitely check uni entry requirements on their website because just off the top of my head i remember some unis specifying that you must have completed your a levels in a 2 year course- not retaking etc so be wary of that!

im in year 13 right now, ive sat all of my psychology exams and only 1 biology and 1 maths. i dont think i even got half marks for my maths exam and ill be lucky with a C overall. ill definitely check the requirements for the unis. i didnt realise by them saying 'completed in a 2 year course' they meant all alevels done within 2 years, i thought they meant no longer than 2 years spent on each alevel (no retaking) if that makes sense. tysm!!!
Reply 3
Original post by jsjdjs
im in year 13 right now, ive sat all of my psychology exams and only 1 biology and 1 maths. i dont think i even got half marks for my maths exam and ill be lucky with a C overall. ill definitely check the requirements for the unis. i didnt realise by them saying 'completed in a 2 year course' they meant all alevels done within 2 years, i thought they meant no longer than 2 years spent on each alevel (no retaking) if that makes sense. tysm!!!

yea i get what ur saying tbh youd be more on the safe side by emailing each unis specific dental admissions in detail of ur current situation, grades etc and finally ask how likely they are to consider you etc. Now is probably a good time since they arent dealing with applications. they are usually really helpful when it comes to this
Reply 4
Original post by sb.xo
yea i get what ur saying tbh youd be more on the safe side by emailing each unis specific dental admissions in detail of ur current situation, grades etc and finally ask how likely they are to consider you etc. Now is probably a good time since they arent dealing with applications. they are usually really helpful when it comes to this

yeh agree just email every unis dental department and ask regarding your situation.
Reply 5
Original post by sb.xo

thank u sm i will definitely do that after i finish my exams!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by drdent
yeh agree just email every unis dental department and ask regarding your situation.

thank you :smile::smile:
Original post by jsjdjs
I'm doing my maths, biology and psychology alevels right now and I applied for law but after I sent off my application I changed my mind and decided to take a gap year and apply for dentistry. I dont think im going to get good enough results for my maths A-level and I was wondering if I could do chemistry alevel in my gap year to make up for it? Will it be counted as retaking and will my bad grade in maths still affect my application a lot?

i wouldn't call it retaking as you never took it in the first place. most unis want or need chem for dental and medical applicants so it would be really wise to do so. since you'll only be studyign 1 subject it will be totally possible to finish- if you were to do 6 hrs a day likem a school doay you could honestly go through a topic in 1-3 days

Quick Reply

Latest