The Student Room Group

Picking a levels for students going into year 12

Students that are going to year 12 in september, whilst you pick subjects you like, consider what subjects you actually need for university. Because I never really considered how much a subject combination mattered, i took business economics and philosophy, and its come back to bite me in the back because to do economics at university, you will mostly need maths, and as well as that, unis don’t like when you take business and economics together, and LSE sees it as a non preferred subject. If you wanna do econ at uni, don’t do what I did and only take economics and not business and also definitely take maths
Original post by hi12345679
Students that are going to year 12 in september, whilst you pick subjects you like, consider what subjects you actually need for university. Because I never really considered how much a subject combination mattered, i took business economics and philosophy, and its come back to bite me in the back because to do economics at university, you will mostly need maths, and as well as that, unis don’t like when you take business and economics together, and LSE sees it as a non preferred subject. If you wanna do econ at uni, don’t do what I did and only take economics and not business and also definitely take maths

yeah I landed myself in this issue too. I just finished gcse, but now I’m kind of panicked on what to do.
my plan was;
English lit, geography, economics and core maths

However now I consider it, I don’t want to become a teacher and I’m not entirely sure what jobs I could achieve from those a levels/what I could do at uni.
So I’m considering switching either English lit or economics to biology, which is very scary to me but I just have to put a lot of effort into it.

I wish we were more advised on this at school, instead of useless PSHE lessons. 😞
Original post by hi12345679

This advice is correct and taking Econ and Business together means that some universities will count them as 1 subject so wont make offers. Anyone thinking of taking Econ will be best advised to take A level Maths as it is requirement in many places.

However there are many universities that dont have these requirements you can look at. This list might help. It was prepared a couple of years ago so the info does need to be checked but is a useful start.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Reply 3
Original post by foggystable
yeah I landed myself in this issue too. I just finished gcse, but now I’m kind of panicked on what to do.
my plan was;
English lit, geography, economics and core maths

However now I consider it, I don’t want to become a teacher and I’m not entirely sure what jobs I could achieve from those a levels/what I could do at uni.
So I’m considering switching either English lit or economics to biology, which is very scary to me but I just have to put a lot of effort into it.

I wish we were more advised on this at school, instead of useless PSHE lessons. 😞

Honestly bro it depends on what you want to do. I know its hard to decide so early, but my honest advice is picking subjects you like, and I wouldn’t pick biology unless you like it because ive heard its hard. Unless you are dead set on doing a science related degree, pick what you want to pick, and worry about what you wanna be in year 12.

Quick Reply

Latest