The Student Room Group

Physician Associate funding (Bangor 2023)

Hello,

I have seen some conflicting accounts regarding funding for the Physician Associate MSc at Bangor. Am I to understand that NHS Wales is to fund the tuition fees for both years completely (assuming I commit to 18 months of work in Wales). And does this consideration happen automatically? Additionally, I am from England so would I be eligible for this?

Can you please also confirm if I can apply for a postgraduate loan from Student Finance, to be used for accom/travel/food costs? And would I apply to Student Finance England or Student Finance Wales?

And finally, does Bangor offer the NHS bursary/HEE bursary of 2500 per annum or any other kind of means-tested bursary?

Please do let me know if this is the right forum for this.

Many thanks for your help in advance!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by confucion321
Hello,

I have seen some conflicting accounts regarding funding for the Physician Associate MSc at Bangor. Am I to understand that NHS Wales is to fund the tuition fees for both years completely (assuming I commit to 18 months of work in Wales). And does this consideration happen automatically? Additionally, I am from England so would I be eligible for this?

Can you please also confirm if I can apply for a postgraduate loan from Student Finance, to be used for accom/travel/food costs? And would I apply to Student Finance England or Student Finance Wales?

And finally, does Bangor offer the NHS bursary/HEE bursary of 2500 per annum or any other kind of means-tested bursary?

I think being an English-based student applying for a healthcare course in Wales adds an extra layer of complexity when it comes to funding and NHS support. You need to ask Bangor most of the above questions.

Post #6 in the following thread explains the HHE grant and SFE funding. I think (but you need to confirm this with HEE) that the HEE grant is only available to you if study at a uni in England (this is the case with the Learning Support Fund for Allied Health Profession courses).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7106053

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Reply 2
Hello,

Did you figure it out? I’m stuck in the same position
Reply 3
Original post by Zeenat0
Did you figure it out? I’m stuck in the same position

Hey hey! The financing situation is acc a myth but here is what I am planning:

- I am applying for a few bursaries/scholarships from here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentfinance/postgraduate/funding
- Working and saving over the summer
- Considering tutoring for a couple of hours a week during term time
- Means-tested bursary (> £3000) or non-means tested (£1000)

We aren't eligible for SFE/SFW postgraduate loans because we are getting an NHS bursary and HEE is only available for English students, so the plan above is what I am sticking with!

Also congrats on your offer, hope to meet you there :smile:

P.S do you know when in September we are starting because I need to secure accom :frown:
Reply 4
Hey hey! The financing situation is acc a myth but here is what I am planning:

- I am applying for a few bursaries/scholarships from here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentfinance/postgraduate/funding
- Working and saving over the summer
- Considering tutoring for a couple of hours a week during term time
- Means-tested bursary (> £3000) or non-means tested (£1000)

We aren't eligible for SFE/SFW postgraduate loans because we are getting an NHS bursary and HEE is only available for English students, so the plan above is what I am sticking with!

Also congrats on your offer, hope to meet you there :smile:

P.S do you know when in September we are starting because I need to secure accom :frown:

Ahhh I see so don’t get HEE just the NHS bursary and on the offer letter I’m sure it says around 25th of September? And welcome week is around the 18th of September. I’ve just booked my accommodation that’s starting on the 16th of September

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending