The Student Room Group

Applying to university late (aka now lol)

I'm a graduate so already have all of my qualifications, and I'm applying for some nursing programmes. I saw that there is a UCAS deadline of 30 June 2023, but that the main deadline was in January.

Is it likely that applying this late will have ruined my chances? Will I still be required to attend interviews or will it be too late for that? I'm not really sure what to expect and don't want to get my hopes up that I'll be able to get a place for this September.

I'm waiting on my reference and then will submit my application ASAP.
Reply 1
Original post by blossomx
I'm a graduate so already have all of my qualifications, and I'm applying for some nursing programmes. I saw that there is a UCAS deadline of 30 June 2023, but that the main deadline was in January.

Is it likely that applying this late will have ruined my chances? Will I still be required to attend interviews or will it be too late for that? I'm not really sure what to expect and don't want to get my hopes up that I'll be able to get a place for this September.

I'm waiting on my reference and then will submit my application ASAP.

Yes, you will have to attend interviews - it's part of the process of applying for nursing degrees.
As long as wherever you're applying to still has spaces, you have a chance. Just be prepared for potentially being offered Feb/March 24 start rather than September 23 with applying at this stage. It's not the end of the world if you don't get a place... it takes many people a few attempts (3 attempts for me, someone with a previous degree and healthcare experience - and I qualified 4 years ago).
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
Yes, you will have to attend interviews - it's part of the process of applying for nursing degrees.
As long as wherever you're applying to still has spaces, you have a chance. Just be prepared for potentially being offered Feb/March 24 start rather than September 23 with applying at this stage. It's not the end of the world if you don't get a place... it takes many people a few attempts (3 attempts for me, someone with a previous degree and healthcare experience - and I qualified 4 years ago).

Thank you for your reply, it was really helpful! UCAS has an option to filter courses based on their availability so hopefully the courses I'm applying to will all have spaces still.

May I ask what your previous degree was? I'm surprised that it took you three attempts with a degree and healthcare experience as I thought that alone would make you a competitive candidate!
Hi there,

It is not too late to apply. You will find some students will apply through clearing for nursing courses. You will have to complete an interview as part of the NMC requirements for acceptance as well as a DBS and occupational health clearance. If you are accepted stay organised and up to date with what you need to start and you should be able to make it for a September start.

Good luck

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador
Reply 4
Just to add to comments from other posters, many universities have struggled to fill their nursing courses recently so there's potential you'll be in with a decent chance. I was a last minute applicant when I got onto my course back in 2007.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending