The Student Room Group

History A Level Essay help

So I do AQA A Level History and we do 'Germany 1871-1991 - the quest for political stability'.
I got an essay question to do which is:

"The lives of working class Germans improved throughout the years 1918-1939." Assess the validity of this view.

I have no issue with the content for this question, but I'm confused on how to structure it.
Usually I would do a for and against argument, but that would not be coherent for this one because I would be going back and forth for the same topic. I don't know how to do it thematically because would I argue the for and against for the same point in the same paragraph? So how do I answer the essay? Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you!
Yes, I would probably do this thematically. I don't study Germany (I did Russia) but for example I would have done a paragraph on education, a paragraph on women and a paragraph on healthcare/social benefits at work. Maybe housing.

With regards to having positives and negatives in one paragraph, I don't see any problem with that. If anything, it makes you seem more evaluative if you come to a mini-judgement within each paragraph. I think the big thing is to very clearly define your overall argument in the introduction and conclusion, and keep weaving it through. Eg at the end of an education paragraph you could say "although the lives of the people were improved through a broader, more effective education system, this progress was overall outweighed by other social failures such as the inability of the government to promote and achieve gender equality" which would link you onto a new paragraph
Reply 2
Thank you so much!

Original post by purplepengu1n
Yes, I would probably do this thematically. I don't study Germany (I did Russia) but for example I would have done a paragraph on education, a paragraph on women and a paragraph on healthcare/social benefits at work. Maybe housing.

With regards to having positives and negatives in one paragraph, I don't see any problem with that. If anything, it makes you seem more evaluative if you come to a mini-judgement within each paragraph. I think the big thing is to very clearly define your overall argument in the introduction and conclusion, and keep weaving it through. Eg at the end of an education paragraph you could say "although the lives of the people were improved through a broader, more effective education system, this progress was overall outweighed by other social failures such as the inability of the government to promote and achieve gender equality" which would link you onto a new paragraph

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending