The Student Room Group

I think I need to drop out and reapplying for medicine

Essentially, I already got into medicine and just finished my first year. Unfortunately, due to changes in personal circumstances, I can't afford the international fees I'm currently paying. It's simply not possible. I've already talked to my uni and they will not change my fee status. If however, I was to drop out and reapply for 2024, I would qualify for home fees, which is a world's difference.
I've already applied for medicine at universities in my home country, but they're very competitive, and my chances of getting in are slim, especially as a late applicant.
I know it's risky, and that I might not be able to get back into medicine. Could anyone offer me any advice? I don't know what to do. Deferring a year even to work wouldn't help me, because the price difference is just insane, between 38k and 9k.
Would I be blacklisted if I applied to medicine again? I do have a legitimate reason for needing to drop out, but I know that medicine's hard to get into in the first place, let alone after dropping out of another school.
UK medical schools do not normally, as a rule, accept applicants who have started medicine at any other UK university (sometimes anywhere) and then not completed the course, normally for any reason. You will be effectively blacklisted from every UK medical school if you do so.

If your fee status has changed I'd recommend first discussing with the uni whether you can have your fee status reassessed. Unfortunately for medicine things may be more complicated as there are separate sets of places for UK and international fee paying students and so you may not be able to be reassessed to have the home fees now you are on the course for international fees.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
UK medical schools do not normally, as a rule, accept applicants who have started medicine at any other UK university (sometimes anywhere) and then not completed the course, normally for any reason. You will be effectively blacklisted from every UK medical school if you do so.

If your fee status has changed I'd recommend first discussing with the uni whether you can have your fee status reassessed. Unfortunately for medicine things may be more complicated as there are separate sets of places for UK and international fee paying students and so you may not be able to be reassessed to have the home fees now you are on the course for international fees.

I've already talked to a financial advisor and the admissions office. They won't change my fee status, nor do they have any scholarships that I could apply for.
The contention point was that I hadn't lived the three years required to qualify for home fees, which I will if I reapply. I know I should've taken a gap year or deferred, but I wasn't aware of the financial difficulties I would run into when I first applied for medicine.
If I was able to explain in my personal statement my reasons behind my reapplication, would it be fine, or would they just see that I had dropped out and not even consider my application?
Original post by CallaBirch
I've already talked to a financial advisor and the admissions office. They won't change my fee status, nor do they have any scholarships that I could apply for.
The contention point was that I hadn't lived the three years required to qualify for home fees, which I will if I reapply. I know I should've taken a gap year or deferred, but I wasn't aware of the financial difficulties I would run into when I first applied for medicine.
If I was able to explain in my personal statement my reasons behind my reapplication, would it be fine, or would they just see that I had dropped out and not even consider my application?

If you look on basically any medicine course webpage it will normally state quite clearly and prominently that they won't consider applicants who previously started but did not complete a medicine course. A very few I think indicate they will consider extraordinary extenuating circumstances, but I think this tends to be more centred around e.g. requiring specific medical treatment at a particular hospital local to that uni which cannot be accessed anywhere else in the UK, which is necessary for them to live or similar scale of things.

You can certainly ask but I would not withdraw without having absolute, written confirmation from the medical school(s) you are planning to apply to that they will consider you even after leaving another UK medicine degree. And even then you may still not get in...

Otherwise your main option is getting a medical degree in any other country (some may have similar reservations about students having started but not completed medicine elsewhere, others might not) and then moving back to the UK to work as a doctor after graduation./
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
If you look on basically any medicine course webpage it will normally state quite clearly and prominently that they won't consider applicants who previously started but did not complete a medicine course. A very few I think indicate they will consider extraordinary extenuating circumstances, but I think this tends to be more centred around e.g. requiring specific medical treatment at a particular hospital local to that uni which cannot be accessed anywhere else in the UK, which is necessary for them to live or similar scale of things.

You can certainly ask but I would not withdraw without having absolute, written confirmation from the medical school(s) you are planning to apply to that they will consider you even after leaving another UK medicine degree. And even then you may still not get in...

Otherwise your main option is getting a medical degree in any other country (some may have similar reservations about students having started but not completed medicine elsewhere, others might not) and then moving back to the UK to work as a doctor after graduation./

Original post by CallaBirch
Essentially, I already got into medicine and just finished my first year. Unfortunately, due to changes in personal circumstances, I can't afford the international fees I'm currently paying. It's simply not possible. I've already talked to my uni and they will not change my fee status. If however, I was to drop out and reapply for 2024, I would qualify for home fees, which is a world's difference.
I've already applied for medicine at universities in my home country, but they're very competitive, and my chances of getting in are slim, especially as a late applicant.
I know it's risky, and that I might not be able to get back into medicine. Could anyone offer me any advice? I don't know what to do. Deferring a year even to work wouldn't help me, because the price difference is just insane, between 38k and 9k.
Would I be blacklisted if I applied to medicine again? I do have a legitimate reason for needing to drop out, but I know that medicine's hard to get into in the first place, let alone after dropping out of another school.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I understand that the change in your financial situation wasn't your fault and in life things don't always go as planned. I don't mean this in a negative way, but to me it seems very weird that you didn't wait that one year in order to get that homestatus and four times more affordable tuition fees. For those who don't have wealthy parents/own wealth/possibility to get big bank loan the difference between international and home fees is dramatic. Planning carefully your finance through the whole studying time is one of the things you need to think about first before applying. For most people who would like to study medicine abroad (for example in my country it's very difficult to get a med school spot) the biggest reason they can't do so is money. It would make sense to ask from all of the UK med schools with option to take in someone with your status. If you have amazing grades from your first year, I think your chances could be better. But if not, then it would seem that those who apply the first time to UK med schools have a better chance than you. Although the financial situation is not your fault, to outsider it can still seem like your own error for not having a solid plan to the whole six years of studying. Could you go to some affordable med school in Bulgaria, Romania etc? The tuition fees are around 5000-8000e/year and living costs lot lower than in UK (downside is of course that in these countries you can't work or if would the salary is very low). Since you were able to get in to UK med school you must have got good grades. Could you apply to Italian med schools in English? They have entrance exam that should be very possible for you to pass and tuition fees around some hundred euros to about 2000e depending on your parents income. Obviously they are competitive spots but it sounds like you could manage it. Then you would need to redo the first year to get your degree accepted in UK, but it would be easy for you. I have heard about students from EU-countries who needed to transfer from UK after brexit because they couldn't afford the fees anymore. Some ended up in Ukraine and Romania. I also know many students who started in 15000-20000e/year med schools but had to transfer because of financial situation to cheaper countries after some years. I hope you will figure things out and everything will work out for you. It truly sucks that money has so big role in education too. I wish all students who need loans would be able to receive them since not all have own wealth or parents who can financially support them. The scholarships too seem to be very limited and available mostly for the top students. I'm myself looking for online option ( 3 years online and 3 years offline) for financial reasons since I need to save money for tuition fees as for the living for three years offline. This option must be the most affordable one. Those unis typically are in Ukraine and because of the war this is a complex and not very good plan either. I consider it as the last chance for me to become a doctor. If you have the kind of financial situation that you can move to Romania etc in case it doesn't work out in UK, I would definitely recommend it. Although UK med schools are very good ones, you can definitely gain the same knowledge and understanding in those more affordable unis too. In the end it's about your attitude and dedication to medicine.
(edited 10 months ago)
The Netherlands is a good country to study medicine

Latest

Trending

Trending