The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Unconditional offers and applying abroad

hi so I am taking a gap year right now to reapply for a different course, optometry. To do this i have to take Biology a level this year as most unis require it even though I already have AAA in other subjects. Only cardiff don't require biology and the entry requirements are AAB/ABB. Is it likely I would get an unconditional offer from them since I have achieved above the entry requirements?

So, if that does happen I would probably drop biology since it would be a waste of time and a lot of effort, with their permission. I would also focus on applying to Veterinary medicine in Poland whilst having firmed Cardiff. If i do get into a Polish uni, would I obliged to go to Cardiff?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by nininanana
hi so I am taking a gap year right now to reapply for a different course, optometry. To do this i have to take Biology a level this year as most unis require it even though I already have AAA in other subjects. Only cardiff don't require biology and the entry requirements are ABB. Is it likely I would get an unconditional offer from them since I have achieved above the entry requirements?

So, if that does happen I would probably drop biology since it would be a waste of time and a lot of effort, with their permission. I would also focus on applying to Veterinary medicine in Poland whilst having firmed Cardiff. If i do get into a Polish uni, would I obliged to go to Cardiff?

advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
hi so I am taking a gap year right now to reapply for a different course, optometry. To do this i have to take Biology a level this year as most unis require it even though I already have AAA in other subjects. Only cardiff don't require biology and the entry requirements are AAB/ABB. Is it likely I would get an unconditional offer from them since I have achieved above the entry requirements?

If you got an unconditional offer from Cardiff, you wouldn't need to make the decision to firm it or not until June 2024. I presume that would give you time to see if you get into a Polish uni?

No, you would not be obliged to go to Cardiff. You can withdraw any time before enrollment.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
If you got an unconditional offer from Cardiff, you wouldn't need to make the decision to firm it or not until June 2024. I presume that would give you time to see if you get into a Polish uni?

I won't know if I get into a polish uni until mid August since the entrance exams are in July
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
No, you would not be obliged to go to Cardiff. You can withdraw any time before enrollment.

ah okay thank you so much! :smile:
ah okay thank you so much! :smile:

Just be careful if you sign an accommodation contract.
Hi!

Perhaps you could reach out to Cardiff's admissions team? They will be able to tell you if you would be eligible for an unconditional offer.

Also remember that if you decide to take Biology, it could help your application to different universities if you decide to change your mind about Cardiff.

Lastly, what Polish universities were you thinking of applying to?

Let me know!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by LSBU Student Rep

Why - are you an expert on Polish uni admissions?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi!

Perhaps you could reach out to Cardiff's admissions team? They will be able to tell you if you would be eligible for an unconditional offer.

Also remember that if you decide to take Biology, it could help your application to different universities if you decide to change your mind about Cardiff.

Let me know!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

hi, I'm thinking about Warsaw university as they don't require Biology and Chemistry A Levels just an entrance exam
(Original post by nininanana)hi, I'm thinking about Warsaw university as they don't require Biology and Chemistry A Levels just an entrance exam

Amazing! I'm from Warsaw myself so I do know that the best veterinary school is SGGW Wydział Medycyny Weterynaryjnej. There's around 80 spots for those who wish to study in English, so it might be a bit competitive when applying.

But I do know that besides Warsaw, there are also great veterinary schools in Olsztyn, Lublin and Wrocław. Worth taking a look.

Best of luck!

Hi there,

I don't study biology personally, but I don't know anyone who had an unconditional offer to Cardiff University. It may be worth emailing the academic school here to find out if they do this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the uni :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending