The Student Room Group

withdrawing from medicine offer for another course

i understand im in an extremely privileged situation to have been accepted into medicine, but i decided its not for me. i feel like i've been forcing myself to fit into the mould of what i think i should want (if that makes sense). i firmed a conditional offer at AAB and i am predicted 3 A*s.
of course if i were to withdraw my application, i would either go through clearing or take a gap year. i definitely want to take a gap year.

the thing is, the uni that gave me an offer is my dream uni which makes this even more difficult. if i were to put in a new application for a completely different course (something more maths based) at the same uni, would the fact that i withdrew my application in the previous cycle be looked down upon?

also, if i were to withdraw my application, would my spot be filled by another applicant?

thanks for reading
Original post by ieatchairs
i understand im in an extremely privileged situation to have been accepted into medicine, but i decided its not for me. i feel like i've been forcing myself to fit into the mould of what i think i should want (if that makes sense). i firmed a conditional offer at AAB and i am predicted 3 A*s.
of course if i were to withdraw my application, i would either go through clearing or take a gap year. i definitely want to take a gap year.

the thing is, the uni that gave me an offer is my dream uni which makes this even more difficult. if i were to put in a new application for a completely different course (something more maths based) at the same uni, would the fact that i withdrew my application in the previous cycle be looked down upon?

also, if i were to withdraw my application, would my spot be filled by another applicant?

thanks for reading

If medicine isn't for you then it is wise to withdraw. Unis don't hold grudges so it won't affect your chances of reapplying for a different course in a another cycle. They would prefer a withdrawal at this stage than someone taking a place who is likely to drop out.
Reply 2
ok, thank you for the response :smile:
Original post by normaw
If medicine isn't for you then it is wise to withdraw. Unis don't hold grudges so it won't affect your chances of reapplying for a different course in a another cycle. They would prefer a withdrawal at this stage than someone taking a place who is likely to drop out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending