The Student Room Group

Grades requirement for uni course

Can I get into computer science with Access HE level 3 in computing?
Original post by Sufyl
Can I get into computer science with Access HE level 3 in computing?

Yes, depending on the credits you have at different grades. For example, University of Sheffield (plucked out of the air at random) have a Computer Science BSc, here, where they list this amongst the entry requirements:

"Access to HE Diploma Award of Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject, with 45 credits at Level 3, including 39 at Distinction (to include 18 credits in Maths) and 6 at Merit."

Did you have any target unis in mind? Did the credit / grades mentioned above sound realistic? Or would more "modest" requirements suit better?
So if I have DDD OR DDM I can get accepted at uni
(Moved to Apps, Clearing & UCAS as this was under Dentistry originally.)
Original post by Sufyl

Are those really grades from you Access to HE course? I've never seen an Access to HE course with grades in that format before.

Even the Qualification Information Page on UCAS for Access to HE Diploma, here, says:

"The Access to HE Diploma has a unitised structure.

All Diplomas comprise a number of units of 3, 6 or 9 credits which in all cases provide a common total of 60 credits.

45 credits must come from graded Level 3 units concerned with academic subject content."

In terms of grading, the same page says, "A standard system of grading is used for all Access to HE Diplomas.

Each graded Level 3 unit is graded at Pass, Merit or Distinction."

So I'd expect a set of grades like "X units at Distinction and Y units at Merit" for example. As, it seems, would Sheffield.

Could it be a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma you're taking, rather than an Access to HE course?
This is sounding more like a BTEC:

National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

Original post by Admit-One
This is sounding more like a BTEC:

National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

My thoughts exactly.
Original post by DataVenia
Are those really grades from you Access to HE course? I've never seen an Access to HE course with grades in that format before.

Even the Qualification Information Page on UCAS for Access to HE Diploma, here, says:

"The Access to HE Diploma has a unitised structure.

All Diplomas comprise a number of units of 3, 6 or 9 credits which in all cases provide a common total of 60 credits.

45 credits must come from graded Level 3 units concerned with academic subject content."

In terms of grading, the same page says, "A standard system of grading is used for all Access to HE Diplomas.

Each graded Level 3 unit is graded at Pass, Merit or Distinction."

So I'd expect a set of grades like "X units at Distinction and Y units at Merit" for example. As, it seems, would Sheffield.

Could it be a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma you're taking, rather than an Access to HE course?

Okay, I though Access HE course also have merit and destinction

so what grades I need from Access HE level 3 course to be accepted at university
Original post by Sufyl

Assuming we're actually talking about a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, then yes.

Sheffield, here, say: "BTEC Extended Diploma DDD in Engineering, Applied Science, IT or Computing + A in A Level Maths"

Goldsmiths, here, say they want: "BTEC: DDM"

You just need to look-up the entry requirements of any unis in which you're interested.
What about access to HE course, is this accepted in universities like Leeds and Huddersfield
Original post by Sufyl
What about access to HE course, is this accepted in universities like Leeds and Huddersfield

Yes.

Leeds say here:

"Access to HE Diploma
Pass 60 credits overall with 45 credits at Level 3, 30 credits with Distinction (including an appropriate number of Mathematics modules) and the remaining 15 credits with Merit or above."

Huddersfield say here:

"Access to Higher Education Diploma in a subject that is relevant to the course with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above."

Do note, however, what both I and @Admit-One have said above: you are probably not taking an Access to HE course anyway. Your grade profile suggests that it's much more likely that you're taking a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma.
@username6094948

Hi, I've taught on an Access to HE program (albeit Nursing) for over 10 years so I can address the bit of confusion there seems to be.

On Access you do not get a final overall grade that is a 'distinction' or a 'merit', you get P/M/D grades for individual assignments. Most programs typically have about 15 assignments, 5 for each module, for instance my pathway had 3 modules, health science, human biology and health studies. The grades for the individual assignments gives you a certain number of UCAS tariff points. A University might typically say you need 109 or 118 UCAS tariff points - the number you have is also dependant on qualifications you already have - it is all calculated through your UCAS application.

There will likely be some ungraded developmental unit's to do as well (but just ignored that for now)

Most Universities love Access students - check with their admissions tutor if you have any questions

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending