The Student Room Group

I need some advice on which university to go to

I am trying to choose between oxford brookes and Loughborough university to go to study BA Fine art. Loughborough has great art facilities and in 2nd in UK for art subject. However it is a small town with not much to do. Oxford brookes has not as good art facilities. However it is a beautiful city to live in. But it is an expensive place to live in.
Reply 1
Original post by lozza888
I am trying to choose between oxford brookes and Loughborough university to go to study BA Fine art. Loughborough has great art facilities and in 2nd in UK for art subject. However it is a small town with not much to do. Oxford brookes has not as good art facilities. However it is a beautiful city to live in. But it is an expensive place to live in.

Do you play any sports?
Reply 2
Well tbh it depends on ur preferences I personally would pick loungborough if I were you. If u prefer to be in a better uni then loungborough u can always explore even though it is small or go to surrounding areas
Or be in a beautiful city and deal with the fact it is expensive but enjoy it there too
Reply 3

In addition with environment you want to be in
I assume u have been there so that can also help choosing I hoped I helped and if have any more questions happy to help xx

Are these your only 2 choices?

When you say “not much to do” is there anything particular that you’re worried about missing out on?

Hi @lozza888,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

I understand that choosing a university can be difficult. However, I wanted to help!

I think it could be worth taking another look at the course pages and seeing if any modules interest you more than others. I would also think about whether you want to take a placement year or look at what study abroad options a university has. Here's a page on Loughborough's Fine Art BA degree where you can find this info.

You might have done this, but it could be worth visiting both campuses if you can. Even if you're unable to or you already have, you could take a look at some virtual tours (here is a tour of Loughborough's campus). You may see yourself being happy at one university more than the other.

Alongside this, I would consider location. Both universities are in different parts of the UK with different links. You can see where Loughborough is here and which cities are nearby. Nottingham and Leicester are very close to Loughborough and many students visit them.

It may be worth thinking about whether you want to be a part of any societies too. You can take a look at these pages to see the societies or sports clubs at Loughborough. You might have an interest you want to keep following or you want to start something new. The societies and sports clubs offered at a university can help with making your experience even better, so it's worth looking into.

Also, accommodation and where halls of residence are at the universities could also be a factor you wish to look more into. You can view our website to see more information about Loughborough's halls of residence.

Finally, I would also consider the career support the universities provide. For instance, Loughborough has a Careers Network that you can read more about here.

Ultimately, it's important to choose somewhere where you can see yourself being happy.

I hope this helps in some way :smile: please do get in touch if you have any further questions that we can help with.

- Lindsay
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest