The Student Room Group

your opinions?

I'm writing a book, one character is super into an ex of his, I want him to be super obsessed, I'm thinking I want to capitalise any reference to the ex ( She, Her, Hers ) like you would when speaking about a deity, but I'm Christian and it feels kind of wrong. Is this something that's just me being a bit too OTT with my concerns or is it actually a bit far. It fits with his character, I just want to know if it's morally ok to write the capitalisation like that
Reply 1
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I'm writing a book, one character is super into an ex of his, I want him to be super obsessed, I'm thinking I want to capitalise any reference to the ex ( She, Her, Hers ) like you would when speaking about a deity, but I'm Christian and it feels kind of wrong. Is this something that's just me being a bit too OTT with my concerns or is it actually a bit far. It fits with his character, I just want to know if it's morally ok to write the capitalisation like that

well we capitalise a lot of things in the human language so surely its fine?
Original post by Anonymous
well we capitalise a lot of things in the human language so surely its fine?

true, but I mean like this.

'Her smile was contagious, as was everything She did."

It just feels a little blasphemous? I really love how it comes across but idk, I'm not sure if it feels right? Is this just me being wierd
Reply 3
It's fine to do this. :smile:

But your peace of mind and health have to be your main priorities.
If you have a history that includes years of overpowering scrupulosity, don't risk causing yourself unnecessary distress.
Maybe consider alternatives like italics or bold underlining every direct reference to the fanatically revered ex gf.
Reply 4
I'm not religious so my viewpoint might be useless to you, but I think it is a really interesting writing technique. Are you planning on some character development of his? If that's the case perhaps you could use the capitalisation thing as a sign of his 'redemption' by phasing them out. Or maybe just provide some other countering perspectives of reasoning by other characters if not. I don't see how it should be offensive especially if you're not glorifying it and it's part of this guy's obsession. But if it's uncomfortable for you then of course there are alternatives like the above post
I get what you mean but I think it should be ok. It's fiction. A stylistic choice that fits a character that you're making up. It's not what you actually believe or anything. I don't see it as blasphemous at all tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending