The Student Room Group

UCAS Application -- International Student (I'm so confused!)

Hi Everyone! I sent off my UCAS application in early January but haven't received any acknowledgment email (I know that some unis don't send this) from any of my 5 choices. On top of that, I was supposed to receive a link from Cambridge for their separate application (I'm applying for the March round) but I never received it. I contacted them a few weeks ago and followed up again today, but haven't heard anything back yet.

And now, I see that one of my other applications has been "withdrawn" because "you did not reply to their correspondence." I have triple-checked, and I haven't received any emails or messages on either the UCAS hub or the email I provided on my application. I also checked for accuracy, and everything is correct on my application. I reached out to that uni for clarification, but is there something I'm missing? Is anyone familiar with something like this happening?
Original post by donika.bea
Hi Everyone! I sent off my UCAS application in early January but haven't received any acknowledgment email (I know that some unis don't send this) from any of my 5 choices. On top of that, I was supposed to receive a link from Cambridge for their separate application (I'm applying for the March round) but I never received it. I contacted them a few weeks ago and followed up again today, but haven't heard anything back yet.

And now, I see that one of my other applications has been "withdrawn" because "you did not reply to their correspondence." I have triple-checked, and I haven't received any emails or messages on either the UCAS hub or the email I provided on my application. I also checked for accuracy, and everything is correct on my application. I reached out to that uni for clarification, but is there something I'm missing? Is anyone familiar with something like this happening?

Did you at least receive a welcome email from UCAS itself, confirming that they'd received your application and had sent it to your university choices?

Which email account did you put on UCAS? Gmail? School/college?

Did you get a UCAS welcome email and notification of updates?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Did you at least receive a welcome email from UCAS itself, confirming that they'd received your application and had sent it to your university choices?

Yes, after I submitted my application I received an email from UCAS that said "Application what next?" and went on to say I completed the application and gave a reminder of my choices. I've also received a few other random emails from UCAS asking for feedback, newsletters, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Which email account did you put on UCAS? Gmail? School/college?

Did you get a UCAS welcome email and notification of updates?

I used a college email, and haven't had any trouble receiving correspondence from other emails as far as I'm aware! I also have a gmail account, but didn't put it on the application. I received an email from UCAS that said "Application what next?" and I assume that's the welcome email! That's why I'm so confused, especially on the withdrawal.
I used a college email, and haven't had any trouble receiving correspondence from other emails as far as I'm aware! I also have a gmail account, but didn't put it on the application. I received an email from UCAS that said "Application what next?" and I assume that's the welcome email! That's why I'm so confused, especially on the withdrawal.

Speak to your college IT department to find out if any emails from the university that withdrew you have been “quarantined”.

School/college email accounts are the worst for blocking emails from universities. UCAS for some reason doesn’t bother to advise applicants to use a gmail or other personal email address instead of a school/college email.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Speak to your college IT department to find out if any emails from the university that withdrew you have been “quarantined”.

School/college email accounts are the worst for blocking emails from universities. UCAS for some reason doesn’t bother to advise applicants to use a gmail or other personal email address instead of a school/college email.

Ah that's so frustrating! Thank you so much! I'll reach out to the IT department.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

I just wanted to let you know that I spoke to the IT dept and there were emails that were blocked!! From multiple unis too. Thank you SO much for your help!! I'm hoping York will be understanding and reconsider my application. I've switched my email to my gmail in UCAS as well, so hopefully I won't run into any more problems. Thanks again!!
I just wanted to let you know that I spoke to the IT dept and there were emails that were blocked!! From multiple unis too. Thank you SO much for your help!! I'm hoping York will be understanding and reconsider my application. I've switched my email to my gmail in UCAS as well, so hopefully I won't run into any more problems. Thanks again!!

That’s good news. Hopefully your college IT team will be able to make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else too. Let your college UCAS contacts know too - they can advise any future applicants to use a gmail account instead (gmail will often send things to junk too but at least you can see your junk on gmail!)

It’s possible for universities to reverse a withdrawal - often universities will withdraw applications because this is quite a common problem and sending a withdrawal to ucas will let you know that emails are being missed. Fingers crossed York will be sympathetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending