The Student Room Group

physics or engineering degree ?

Hi I'm currently a year 12 and I'm not sure whether I want to study physics or aerospace engineering at uni, personally I'm leading more towards physics as I like learning content and it is a lot of independent work, where as engineering has a lot more application and requires team work, however in terms of jobs engineering gives me better opportunities. So what degree should I pick?
Reply 1
Original post by iloveranpo
Hi I'm currently a year 12 and I'm not sure whether I want to study physics or aerospace engineering at uni, personally I'm leading more towards physics as I like learning content and it is a lot of independent work, where as engineering has a lot more application and requires team work, however in terms of jobs engineering gives me better opportunities. So what degree should I pick?

My son was in same position - but he’s decided to do physics and then do engineering at postgrad level later on then he has best of both

"Job opportunities" in terms of likelihood to get a job will be the same between them. The only difference is the specific jobs themselves vary slightly (although largely overlap).

Physics involves a lot of working with others in labs and projects during the degree and even in the bigger picture way, research is inherently a collaborative enterprise.
Reply 3
Original post by Budz1
My son was in same position - but he’s decided to do physics and then do engineering at postgrad level later on then he has best of both

That was a thought i had as well, depending on how I feel in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
"Job opportunities" in terms of likelihood to get a job will be the same between them. The only difference is the specific jobs themselves vary slightly (although largely overlap).

Physics involves a lot of working with others in labs and projects during the degree and even in the bigger picture way, research is inherently a collaborative enterprise.

I like the idea of being a researcher its just the part about working with others that's a bit daunting.
I like the idea of being a researcher its just the part about working with others that's a bit daunting.

Well I mean now is as good a time as any to break the news to you: no matter what job you do, in what sector, in what capacity - you will be working with others. In some way you will depend on others and they will depend on you in a professional context, and in many contexts you will be actively collaborating with others as well.
Reply 6

I do Aerospace :angelblush:

If you prefer the physics material and have no particular desire to work as an engineer - and your posts don't indicate that you do - then physics is probably a better option.

Quick Reply

Latest