The Student Room Group

Humanities postgraduate degrees

Which postgraduate degree is more valuable: film, creative writing, or English?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Really depends on your personal and career goals. What industry are you hoping to enter? Humanities degrees aren't generally the most lucrative...
Original post by Stitchery
Really depends on your personal and career goals. What industry are you hoping to enter? Humanities degrees aren't generally the most lucrative...

I'm not certain right now, but I don't think I want to stay in the same field my entire life. Basically I was wondering which field is best to get a degree in and which I might pursue without having a degree specialization. All three subjects are of interest to me. (I know humanities degrees aren't generally lucrative, but I am sure that I want to study and work in humanities fields.) Thank you for answering!
Original post by i_am_the_saurus
I'm not certain right now, but I don't think I want to stay in the same field my entire life. Basically I was wondering which field is best to get a degree in and which I might pursue without having a degree specialization. All three subjects are of interest to me. (I know humanities degrees aren't generally lucrative, but I am sure that I want to study and work in humanities fields.) Thank you for answering!

Actually you'd be pleased to hear humanities subjects actually offer similar salaries to STEM subjects, some even more! So don't worry about the aspect of profit and money too much when making the decision.

I've just finished my degree as well. I took English Literature and Creative Writing with a couple film modules here and there and could honestly say choose any of those three they're all really fun and interlinked anyhow. So whichever you want to focus more on I'd say to pursue that and keep salaries out of it for the most part.

For me, I chose to ditch Creative Writing not because it wasn't amazing because it was extremely fun, but because I preferred the literary subject. So I've chosen to do my masters in literary studies and will be starting that in October! Choose what your heart wants most.

Hope this helps,
Dominic
English Literature/Creative Writing Student Ambassador at Lancaster University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending