The Student Room Group

Desperately need Uni Accommodation advice

Hi,
I’m starting University in September, and currently I have been looking for places to stay before then (I’ve been sofa surfing, and also homeless).
I found a Halls of Residence to live in, and I went through all the information as it was a tenancy takeover until the 1st of September.
After reading the tenancy, I’ve realised now it is only for students, and if you are not a student - basically you need to pay council tax / you may not be able to live there. As I start University in September, what are my chances of this falling through, and I will no longer be able to live there? I’m in a new city, with only my boyfriend, my tenancy hasn’t started yet however the previous tenant allowed me to put my belongings here before I move in officially, what should I do? I’m going to call them tomorrow and explain, but I’m really worried they won’t accommodate me, thank you
Original post by angelirl
Hi,
I’m starting University in September, and currently I have been looking for places to stay before then (I’ve been sofa surfing, and also homeless).
I found a Halls of Residence to live in, and I went through all the information as it was a tenancy takeover until the 1st of September.
After reading the tenancy, I’ve realised now it is only for students, and if you are not a student - basically you need to pay council tax / you may not be able to live there. As I start University in September, what are my chances of this falling through, and I will no longer be able to live there? I’m in a new city, with only my boyfriend, my tenancy hasn’t started yet however the previous tenant allowed me to put my belongings here before I move in officially, what should I do? I’m going to call them tomorrow and explain, but I’m really worried they won’t accommodate me, thank you

Hi there,
I'd recommend speaking to the university accommodation team. Although it is a tenancy takeover and the previous tenant has said you can move your belongings in, it's best to confirm everything with the accommodation team where you're going to stay - including if they're happy for you to stay over the summer with a university place confirmed for September. If they say no, at least you'll know that it's a no and can start looking for alternative accommodation, rather than finding out when you move in and having to panic find accommodation.

Hope this helps

- Sophie
Original post by angelirl
Hi,

Hi,
Are you going to university in Reading? If so and you haven’t sorted out your situation with the accommodation, I have a room I’m looking for someone to take over. It’s 1 of a 4 bedroom penthouse in Queens Court aparto, Reading:
£250 per week
Double bed
En-suite bathroom
Share kitchen with only 3 other people
15 min walk from Reading Station with direct connection to London on the Elizabeth line
Let me know and I will be happy to transfer it over to you if you want it!
Best wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending