The Student Room Group

Things To Consider Before Getting A Job at Uni

It depends on your circumstances!
Every student at university has a different 'university experience' - and the reality of it is that some students will be able to fit a part time job around their studies, some others won't. There's a lot of factors to this - such as how your timetable is organised, or what extracurricular commitments you have - but it's important to remember that just because people around you have part time jobs, it might not necessarily be the best solution for you and vice versa. Map out your own time commitments and see how many hours you could give to work, making sure to consider the cost of commuting to work from your accommodation, as well as any long periods of absence (e.g. going home for Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks).

Check your visa/uni recommendation!
If you're an international student, your visa likely caps the amount of hours you can work - usually at around 20 hours a week during term time. If you're a home student, you likely won't have a legal cap - but regardless, most universities do recommend capping your working hours at around the 16-20 mark if possible, as working more hours than this may affect your ability to study and eventually the overall outcome of your degree.

Know Your Financial Options
Especially with the recent cost of living crisis, more and more students are having to get part-time jobs not because they want them, but because they need them to survive. If you're in this boat and you believe your studies would be significantly affected by having to work a part-time job, reach out to your university - most universities have some funding allocated for anyone struggling to meet costs (especially if you're on a lower household income), and if needed, may be able to put you in touch with financial advisors to assist with budgeting.

Read company reviews on sites like Glassdoor and Indeed
Some employers, especially if they're located close to a university campus, may hire a lot of students in general and might already be able to anticipate any changes in your schedule due to exam season or holidays. However, depending on the size of the company or its location, some employers might not - and in this case, it's best to read any company reviews you can, keeping an eye out to see if they're flexible and understanding in terms of working hours.

See if your university has any posts open!
In my own experience at Kingston, one of the most understanding employers of students tends to be your university itself. Whether it's stacking books in the library, doing open day tours for prospective students or even writing posts on The Student Room :wink:, universities usually have at least one or two options open to students looking for a part time job. Make sure to keep your eye out for any emails/ leaflets around campus advertising these sorts of roles!

Hope this has helped! Anyone who works a part time job whilst studying - how do you find it? How many hours would you recommend working? Drop a reply down below!

- Eve (Kingston Rep).
Hello Eve!!! I found my job on GiGL :smile: I didn't need any experience as the app is about video applications so I did a video application and they didn't ask for my CV because its all about personality!!
Original post by Emily Newman
Hello Eve!!! I found my job on GiGL :smile: I didn't need any experience as the app is about video applications so I did a video application and they didn't ask for my CV because its all about personality!!

Oooh, that sounds great! Making a CV can be a bit of a pain, so a video application isn't a bad idea at all. Do you enjoy your work?
i work for mc donald’s whilst doing my a-levels and was wondering if i should transfer to one near a university that i pick as the pay is good? and they’re flexible mostly.
Original post by alevelstudent090
i work for mc donald’s whilst doing my a-levels and was wondering if i should transfer to one near a university that i pick as the pay is good? and they’re flexible mostly.

If the hours are flexible then that would be a great idea. It means you can increase, or reduce your hours based upon the workload at University. It also saves you reapplying for a new job!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
This is great advice for students looking for jobs at uni.

We always recommend seeing if there are any roles on campus such as student ambassador roles or staffing in the library. It's a great way to earn money, be flexible around your own study timetable and meet new people from your university too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending