The Student Room Group

Can prospective students rent student accomodation? ( at a different uni )

I am a prospective student holding offers from my universities, I've been accepted for student finance so all I would need to do to go to university is get the grades and my offer accepted.

Would this be enough for me to rent student accomodation that is being sublet as it is generally cheaper and I feel more comfortable around people my age, as only students generally can rent student accomodation that is being sublet.

Thanks in advance
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by CuteHarpSeal527
I am a prospective student holding offers from my universities, I've been accepted for student finance so all I would need to do to go to university is get the grades and my offer accepted.

Would this be enough for me to rent student accomodation that is being sublet as it is generally cheaper and I feel more comfortable around people my age, as only students generally can rent student accomodation that is being sublet.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
You will be able to apply for accommodation but I would recommend checking the cancellation policy of the accommodation you apply for. If you do not end up attending the university you have applied for, you would need to make sure the cancellation policy allows you to cancel if you are no longer a student at that university/in that city. Otherwise, you would likely be expected to find a replacement tenant.

- Sophie
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
You will be able to apply for accommodation but I would recommend checking the cancellation policy of the accommodation you apply for. If you do not end up attending the university you have applied for, you would need to make sure the cancellation policy allows you to cancel if you are no longer a student at that university/in that city. Otherwise, you would likely be expected to find a replacement tenant.

- Sophie

Hey thanks for replying.

I meant more as in renting student accommodation just over this summer until like the end of july/August, and probably not at the university I would be going to, it's not where I would be staying while I'm studying, it's just general accomodation over the summer.
Original post by CuteHarpSeal527
Hey thanks for replying.

I meant more as in renting student accommodation just over this summer until like the end of july/August, and probably not at the university I would be going to, it's not where I would be staying while I'm studying, it's just general accomodation over the summer.

Hi there,
No problem. It's likely to be a similar story. If you're interested in summer stays, some private student accommodation (like us) do offer them. If you're interested in taking over someone's tenancy, I'd always make sure this goes officially through their accommodation provider rather than subletting - so their tenancy would end and you would have your own. Subletting can be a breach of their tenancy agreement so it's best to avoid this.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending