The Student Room Group

Is Art really useful for the future?

You've probably heard before, "Art won't be of any use later on because of ----- (e.g., AI)" or perhaps in, which won't provide a stable path to success or security.
I really love Art and want to incorporate it in my future - yet people around me make me doubt about what I want for my future. So recently, I've been considering going down a more science/biological path for my education.
For my A-levels, I am choosing Art, Biology, and Chemistry (which is odd as Art stands out and doesn't match with the rest; However a good break from the heavy science information).
I'm planning to study Biology further in University and so forth - but I'm not sure if this is worth giving up my monsterous joy with Art.

Any advice on what I should do?
Have you thought about taking an Art & Design Foundation Diploma at a local college or university during a gap year before you start your degree?

Lots of people who love art will take a FAD to be challenged and experiment in new media/disciplines before they commit to studying art or a completely different subject at university. It’s a really good way to just try things out without eating into your university funding - plus you can build your portfolio and knowledge beyond A level and get a recognised qualification. It doesn’t commit you to studying creative subjects at university in any way.

There’s a FAD FAQ thread at the top of the art and design forum that explains more.
Original post by PQ
Have you thought about taking an Art & Design Foundation Diploma at a local college or university during a gap year before you start your degree?
Lots of people who love art will take a FAD to be challenged and experiment in new media/disciplines before they commit to studying art or a completely different subject at university. It’s a really good way to just try things out without eating into your university funding - plus you can build your portfolio and knowledge beyond A level and get a recognised qualification. It doesn’t commit you to studying creative subjects at university in any way.
There’s a FAD FAQ thread at the top of the art and design forum that explains more.

Okay, thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by PQ

that’s nice but there’s still a lingering huge question about AI - do u have any thoughts on that?
Original post by ckoo11414
that’s nice but there’s still a lingering huge question about AI - do u have any thoughts on that?

AI is a tool that might impact a huge range of different jobs. True creativity is not as vulnerable to AI as more monotonous and less creative roles.

Quick Reply

Latest