The Student Room Group

Children’s Nursimg or Mental Health Nursing?

Hey!!

I’m finding it difficult to choose between Children’s or Mental health Nursing.

I am extremely interested in both, but i just cant choose! id love to hear peoples opinions on the two branches of nursing.

-Opinions
-Job opportunities
-Career progression & development
-Other job roles apart from Bedside
-Pros and Cons

Thanks in advanced for the replies, i look forward to reading them :smile:
Use Google
Original post by Hx9
Hey!!

I am extremely interested in both, but i just cant choose! id love to hear peoples opinions on the two branches of nursing.

-Opinions
-Job opportunities
-Pros and Cons

Children's nursing you'll have the opportunity to gain promotion to band 6 then you can keep applying for this until you reach your target as perhaps ward manager or sister.

Pay for all newly qualified nursing staff are the same as all starts at bottom of band 5 and then you can work yourself up.
You have career progression in all the nursing fields but it depends on how many vacancies are available for every individual nursing fields.

Community children nursing
Working in outpatient department

You'll have the opportunity to know the patient and there families while in hospital as many children may be regular patients.

Mental health nursing can be daunting for some people due to the uncertainty in how fragile the patient is.

I'm a NHS registered midwife ( band 6 charge nurse) very demanding at times. 😀😀😀
What about doing Nursing Dual Registration (Children's Nursing and Mental Health)
MSci.

I was in the same position. I couldn't decide between Adult and mental health nursing so I'm doing the dual registration.
Reply 4
Original post by Zeebee71
What about doing Nursing Dual Registration (Children's Nursing and Mental Health)
MSci.

I was in the same position. I couldn't decide between Adult and mental health nursing so I'm doing the dual registration.

hey! that’s actually quite a good idea, i’ll have to look around for what university’s offer the course. how are you finding the adult and mental health dual course so far
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Children's nursing you'll have the opportunity to gain promotion to band 6 then you can keep applying for this until you reach your target as perhaps ward manager or sister.

Pay for all newly qualified nursing staff are the same as all starts at bottom of band 5 and then you can work yourself up.
You have career progression in all the nursing fields but it depends on how many vacancies are available for every individual nursing fields.

Community children nursing
Working in outpatient department

You'll have the opportunity to know the patient and there families while in hospital as many children may be regular patients.

Mental health nursing can be daunting for some people due to the uncertainty in how fragile the patient is.

I'm a NHS registered midwife ( band 6 charge nurse) very demanding at times. 😀😀😀

thank you so much for your reply. i think i’m going to lean towards children’s nursing ! i’ve done abit of research and found some careers within children’s nursing that really interest me such as health visitor, neonatal nurse & school nurse. are you familiar with these sectors ? if you are i’d love to hear your opinion / short brief on them 😊
Original post by Hx9
thank you so much for your reply. i think i’m going to lean towards children’s nursing ! i’ve done abit of research and found some careers within children’s nursing that really interest me such as health visitor, neonatal nurse & school nurse. are you familiar with these sectors ? if you are i’d love to hear your opinion / short brief on them 😊

Not familiar with those areas except neonatal as part of the maternity unit's - they are there for any new born baby that may require some support that they can't get within the maternity wards after being born or require life saving treatment that the experience staff on neonatal can offer.

Health visiting is the nurse visiting the new mums and child after they are no longer under the community midwives as they take over the roles. Community midwives usually look after the new mums and babies for about two to four weeks after they are home and then the health visitor takes over with checking weight and how they are developing etc
If you do your proper research on each roles of the career's paths you mentioned then you'll have the next three years to concentrate on completing your children nursing degree and applying for the particular job you want to do.

Children nursing sounds a good idea for you as it's apparently most enjoyable working with all the different ages and you are very much involved with the parents.
Original post by Hx9
Hey!!

-Opinions
-Job opportunities
-Pros and Cons

Hi!

It’s great to hear that you are considering going into nursing! At Southampton University we offer a dual field masters course of Child and Mental Health Nursing which means you would not have to choose. The dual field programme would allow you to understand both aspects of nursing that you are interested in. Therefore, giving you wider job opportunities once you graduate after the 4 years as you can choose which field you would like to work in or find a job that involves aspects of both such as working for CAMHS.

If you do come to Southampton, throughout your study you will experience a range of placements in the community and in clinical settings which allows you to explore job roles beyond bedside. If you have any further questions please let me know!

Caitlin (Child Nursing)😊
University of Southampton(Official Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending