The Student Room Group

Withdrawn from nursing placement

What happens if you are withdrawn from placement by the provider?
Reply 1
Original post by Sister_Shizzle

What do you mean by "if you are withdrawn"? That's pretty serious for a placement provider to say "we aren't having this student here" (they've got to have very good reason to refuse to have a partulicular student - like, they were horrible to other staff, or dangerous in practice, on multiple other placements hosted by that placement provider).

I'm going to assume it's more simple than that, and you mean where you're told you're going somewhere on placement to then find you can't go there. This happens from time to time, where it gets closer to the start date of the placement and, for whatever reason (like not enough practice assessors), they aren't able to support students... in which case, the university organises another placement for the affected student(s).
Reply 2
I started a development placement, and was absent due to illness for 3 days in the first week, i followed the protocol of informing the provider and Uni of my absence. Then I had an email from my tutor to say the placement provider have withdrawn me from the placement for not meeting this -

"The student maintains an appropriate professional attitude regarding punctuality and communicates appropriately if unable to attend placement."
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
I started a development placement, and was absent due to illness for 3 days in the first week, i followed the protocol of informing the provider and Uni of my absence. Then I had an email from my tutor to say the placement provider have withdrawn me from the placement for not meeting this -

"The student maintains an appropriate professional attitude regarding punctuality and communicates appropriately if unable to attend placement."

They are a small service that does not have the capacity to support students who do not commit to the placement through regular attendance, and they are within their right to withdraw from the placement if they experience students failing to meet the professional values expected of them.

I'm an experienced practice assessor. This doesn't make sense - from what you've said, you are achieving this professional value as you have communicated appropriately when unable to attend. As you've not had 100% perfect attendance, they're trying to find a way to get rid of you, and shirk off dealing with other struggling students on other areas.
Discuss the matter further with your universoty tutor as to what happens from here - you may well need to do another placement to make up for this one.
Reply 4

What was the reason for withdrawal?
Reply 5
Original post by ProactiveMe
What was the reason for withdrawal?

Not meeting -
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
I'm an experienced practice assessor. This doesn't make sense - from what you've said, you are achieving this professional value as you have communicated appropriately when unable to attend. As you've not had 100% perfect attendance, they're trying to find a way to get rid of you, and shirk off dealing with other struggling students on other areas.
Discuss the matter further with your universoty tutor as to what happens from here - you may well need to do another placement to make up for this one.

Thank you, I will speak to the University tomorrow for further clarification as I am very confused now

Hello @Sister_Shizzle

I hope you're well. I believe you would need to contact and let your university know ASAP so that they can investigate this, and hopefully manage to sort out another placement for you to allow you to complete your clinical hours.

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending