The Student Room Group

Operating department practice (ODP) - 2023

Hi everyone. Is anyone applying for Operating Department Practice (ODP) for 2023/2024 entry? It doesn't seem like there is anyone else on the main page for 2023 UCAS Applications and there hasn't been any threads opened for it so I was wondering whether anyone else was applying?

Scroll to see replies

I have for Birmingham. I agree, there seems little info or comments 🤔
I have unanswered questions.
Are you going to do the Diploma or Degree?
Reply 2
Hi. It's nice to speak to someone else who is doing it! I'm doing the degree as I'm pretty sure diplomas aren't going to be accepted for ODPs that qualify after 2024 by the HCPC.
Original post by Iosifina05
Hi. It's nice to speak to someone else who is doing it! I'm doing the degree as I'm pretty sure diplomas aren't going to be accepted for ODPs that qualify after 2024 by the HCPC.

Interesting, I've not heard this. I will investigate further. My understanding is there will be no diploma programme after 2023. However, the final cohorts will not face discrimination because there is not a specific top up for ODP. Have you had an interview or one scheduled? Have you attended any open days?
Reply 4
This is where I've got that information from:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hcpc-uk.org/news-and-events/blog/2021/hcpc-increase-set-1-degree-operating-department-practitioners/&ved=2ahUKEwjpr-qhoe_8AhXZRkEAHcu9DqQQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0X-sMpgQdRp6X146nYC04y

Yes, I've had all my interviews and have heard back from all of them (Only applied for 3). I attended around 7 open days and 1 other healthcare event. How about you?
Reply 5
Hi guys! I just accepted my offer in CCCU as ODP. Took me a bit of time to choose between the adult nursing and ODP. But I accept ODP as my firm choice now. It is very exciting and scary at the same time. I am a mature student as I am 36, so it is a big step for me. Anyone else applying to CCCU for 2023 intake?
Original post by Vpusn
Hi guys! I just accepted my offer in CCCU as ODP. Took me a bit of time to choose between the adult nursing and ODP. But I accept ODP as my firm choice now. It is very exciting and scary at the same time. I am a mature student as I am 36, so it is a big step for me. Anyone else applying to CCCU for 2023 intake?

Congratulations and good luck. I'm much older and hope to have a place at BCU September 2023. Never to old and age is just a number. Big step for anyone .. embrace, enjoy and most of all experience everything the course and student life has to offer you :smile:
This is where I've got that information from:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hcpc-uk.org/news-and-events/blog/2021/hcpc-increase-set-1-degree-operating-department-practitioners/&ved=2ahUKEwjpr-qhoe_8AhXZRkEAHcu9DqQQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0X-sMpgQdRp6X146nYC04y

Yes, I've had all my interviews and have heard back from all of them (Only applied for 3). I attended around 7 open days and 1 other healthcare event. How about you?

thanks for providing the link and updating me. I shall be asking questions when during the open day next week. Interesting information. :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you! To you as well! Good luck! Let's be a students again :biggrin:
I have applied for an ODP degree and Swansea and UEA are my top choices. Im going to accept my offer from Swansea as have had good reviews. Will be moving from london so all a bit daunting but hopefully will be ok. Im looking forward to starting the course, will be a mature student.
Do you have any questions I could practice for my interview please?
Reply 11
Original post by demzido
Do you have any questions I could practice for my interview please?

Learn about the role, how it is different from nursing. Learn about HCPC, and how they regulate. Look up normall open questions , such as how you going to cope with stress, how to work as a team, etc. Learn 6 NHS Cs. Good luck!
Reply 12
Hi everyone. Is anyone applying for Operating Department Practice (ODP) for 2023/2024 entry? It doesn't seem like there is anyone else on the main page for 2023 UCAS Applications and there hasn't been any threads opened for it so I was wondering whether anyone else was applying?

Hi, i have applied for ODP

Original post by Happy Hip Hippo
Congratulations and good luck. I'm much older and hope to have a place at BCU September 2023. Never to old and age is just a number. Big step for anyone .. embrace, enjoy and most of all experience everything the course and student life has to offer you :smile:

Iam also much older, career change and doing ODP. looking forward to it and excited too. Accepted swansea uni.
Original post by Vpusn

I am im on foundation year at cccu going onto odp in September
Reply 14
Original post by scrubbydubbyvw
I am im on foundation year at cccu going onto odp in September

Oh lovely,see you in September.
Reply 15
Hi, I am thinking of applying for this through clearing. Either at Hull or Sheffield. I am only 18yrs old. I’ve noticed that are many mature students. Do people my age go into this? Or is it more of a career change or top up type role? Thanks. I just worry that I’ll be the youngest on my course and no one to relate to.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Anyone going to BCU for ODP foundation year?
Original post by Lala_brit
Hi, I am thinking of applying for this through clearing. Either at Hull or Sheffield. I am only 18yrs old. I’ve noticed that are many mature students. Do people my age go into this? Or is it more of a career change or top up type role? Thanks. I just worry that I’ll be the youngest on my course and no one to relate to.

I'm doing odp at Coventry uni. my interview is tomorrow. also 18 :smile:
Original post by Vpusn

Congratulations on your offer. ODP is a great course, which I am sure you'll enjoy. Head over to to CCCU_Health Instagram to find out some useful tips before you start.:goodluck:
Reply 19
Original post by Malaikah702
I'm doing odp at Coventry uni. my interview is tomorrow. also 18 :smile:

Hello Malaikah702 I intend to apply for ODP at Coventry University next year as a matured student.how was your interview please give tips on questions that was asked and if you have started your course and how is it going? How is the balance between lectures and placement?

Quick Reply

Latest