The Student Room Group

Was practice development being rude?

1 month into my Operating Department Practice degree. I was told I had a meeting in a different city at 2pm, it was 11:30. Had to plan transport since I did not drive. I was not used to this hospital so was late. One member of practice development collected me, they were annoyed that I was late but proceeded to ask me questions, such as ‘Why did you want to study ODP’ . She responded with “Oh you must have got in through clearing then”. I was offended since it sounds like she’s saying that I wasn’t good enough to get in the first time, or am I overthinking it. Throughout my time on this course she has always been quite hostile around me.
Original post by Idekwhyimheretbh
1 month into my Operating Department Practice degree. I was told I had a meeting in a different city at 2pm, it was 11:30. Had to plan transport since I did not drive. I was not used to this hospital so was late. One member of practice development collected me, they were annoyed that I was late but proceeded to ask me questions, such as ‘Why did you want to study ODP’ . She responded with “Oh you must have got in through clearing then”. I was offended since it sounds like she’s saying that I wasn’t good enough to get in the first time, or am I overthinking it. Throughout my time on this course she has always been quite hostile around me.

Hiya,

I’m a student ODP going into my third year. Can I ask, was this person one of your mentors from placement?

Unfortunately, as students and probably even once we start working people might make comments that don’t sit well with us. Being a student ODP can be tough, so I’d advise to try and not let comments get to you. If anything, take it as a way to show them how good you are as a student!

However, if you are having particular difficulty with members of staff and it’s effecting your learning. I would advise speaking to your course leader or practice educator. You’re there to learn and don’t want that to be effected negatively if someone is giving you a difficult time.

Whether this person had intention behind their words is hard to say but I would just try to forget about it and enjoy your student experience :smile:

Unforeseen circumstances made you late and that cannot be helped. These things happen but just do your best to avoid confusion in the future.

I hope this helps and good luck moving forward :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending