The Student Room Group

Took a Leave of Absence from Uni and feel like a failure

Hello,

I'm a second year student nurse and the past few months have emotionally and mentally exhausted me on placements I didn't like, missed one placement and had over 200 hours to make up, failed one assignment and just feel so overwhelmed. I took the decision to have a break and go back in March 2024 to essentially re join from the placement I ended up missing and so it won't affect my student finance or anything.

I'm yet to tell my partner or parents, just for reference, I'm 29 but still just feel so guilty for needing some time out. I've suffered from low mood and anxiety for a long time and my mum in particular isn't convinced of this, always has the "get on with it" approach.

How do I build up this confidence to tell them? It needs to be soon really as now my student finance has stopped!
Just for reference I don't depend on parents or my partner financially but we have a little boy so I need to be open and honest.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by SophiaJ22
Hello,

I'm a second year student nurse and the past few months have emotionally and mentally exhausted me on placements I didn't like, missed one placement and had over 200 hours to make up, failed one assignment and just feel so overwhelmed. I took the decision to have a break and go back in March 2024 to essentially re join from the placement I ended up missing and so it won't affect my student finance or anything.

I'm yet to tell my partner or parents, just for reference, I'm 29 but still just feel so guilty for needing some time out. I've suffered from low mood and anxiety for a long time and my mum in particular isn't convinced of this, always has the "get on with it" approach.

How do I build up this confidence to tell them? It needs to be soon really as now my student finance has stopped!
Just for reference I don't depend on parents or my partner financially but we have a little boy so I need to be open and honest.

Thank you! :smile:

Be honest and tell the truth quickly before it is too late. Sometimes it is the cover up that is worse than the crime.
Sometimes it just won't be the right thing for you and even the uni itself would tell you this, past a point 'Just get it done!' just digs you deeper into a hole.

I had to defer/LoA twice in a row during my 2nd/HND year due to my mums health/passing, my head just wasn't in the work and the long commute was killing me paired with care responsibilities, my uni were unfailingly supportive of this. I had to to realise I had 3 tasks, care for family, keep my business running and finish uni, out of the 3 I could competently manage 2, and because Uni can be restarted any time it was the obvious one to go.
Reply 3
dont worry about it. are you sure your feeling better. just take care of yourself. maybe try and get a few hours as a hca on the bank. you will learn the wards and staff before you start back. nursing is made up of lots of people with different health and social challenges so please ty to not stress over restarting
Reply 4
Taking time out is the right thing to do, otherwise you’re going to end up failing due to the gaps in placement. It’s not a failure to realise what’s happening and taking a break, I had to when I did my training as I became overwhelmed, it’s had no real impact on my career.
Original post by StriderHort
Sometimes it just won't be the right thing for you and even the uni itself would tell you this, past a point 'Just get it done!' just digs you deeper into a hole.

I had to defer/LoA twice in a row during my 2nd/HND year due to my mums health/passing, my head just wasn't in the work and the long commute was killing me paired with care responsibilities, my uni were unfailingly supportive of this. I had to to realise I had 3 tasks, care for family, keep my business running and finish uni, out of the 3 I could competently manage 2, and because Uni can be restarted any time it was the obvious one to go.
Hello- I’m thinking of taking a second leave of absence- for anxiety and personal reasons with family members being ill. How does this work? All I’ve been told by uni is it would be extremely difficult to take another leave and come back for third year especially student finance wise
Reply 6
Original post by Amyrebekahwillz
Hello- I’m thinking of taking a second leave of absence- for anxiety and personal reasons with family members being ill. How does this work? All I’ve been told by uni is it would be extremely difficult to take another leave and come back for third year especially student finance wise

you would fail the time limit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending