The Student Room Group

1 mark off of an A. Is remark a risk?

My YP has 1st place Uni which is brilliant. But, she was predicted A* but received a B. 1 mark off an A. What's the likelihood of a paper sent in for remark being downgraded 26 points to a C? Would this mean she loses her Uni place? As a B is required. Were happy with results its just the chance of an A might strengthen her masters/Doctorate applications in the future as so competitive. Please advise thank you
Original post by DeeAnn50
My YP has 1st place Uni which is brilliant. But, she was predicted A* but received a B. 1 mark off an A. What's the likelihood of a paper sent in for remark being downgraded 26 points to a C? Would this mean she loses her Uni place? As a B is required. Were happy with results its just the chance of an A might strengthen her masters/Doctorate applications in the future as so competitive. Please advise thank you

The likelihood of the mark going down 26 marks and her losing the B is very slim, but like with gambling and investments, there's always that chance that it goes down instead of up. I'm not saying it'll go down by 26 marks, but I can't tell you unequivocally that it won't happen. You mention that a B is required for her course, if she were to be downgraded then there's the potential that it could affect her application and she could lose her place.

With it being one mark, my gut instinct says it's worth the punt. If she is happy and you are happy, in my opinion it's just not necessary. But, if she wants to take the chance, I don't think those are particularly bad odds.
Original post by DeeAnn50

The chance of a "review of marking" causing a loss of 26 marks are so low as to be indistinguishable from zero. But they are not zero.

Quick Reply

Latest