The Student Room Group

Disciplinary Meeting

Hi,

I have no idea what i did, but i got an email from the head tutor demanding i come in to a Disciplinary Meeting on Monday. I literally have no clue what i did, they wont elaborate further, all they said was to look through the student handbook (we dont have one).

What do i do cos its unprofessional and also against code if conduct
Suggest you ask someone from the SU if they can accompany you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I have no idea what i did, but i got an email from the head tutor demanding i come in to a Disciplinary Meeting on Monday. I literally have no clue what i did, they wont elaborate further, all they said was to look through the student handbook (we dont have one).

What do i do cos its unprofessional and also against code if conduct

I think you are entitled to know what it is that they think you have done. Email them again and as mentioned get some help from the su. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
I think you are entitled to know what it is that they think you have done. Email them again and as mentioned get some help from the su. Good luck

Hello again, the email also said i was ti bring a witness, but they arent allowed to talk, i had a look through their procedures online and i found they violated 4 different codes. Im getting help from The SU and getting advice from Mental health support because i am already stressed enough.

I emailed them to make them aware of this and they havent replied
Bit strange that you don't know what the meeting is about but you're already calling it XYZ unprofessional.

You haven't really gave any information so dunno why you ask us to tell you what to do. Can you explain why summoning you to a disciplinary meeting is breaking all these rules?
Original post by Kutie Karen
I think you are entitled to know what it is that they think you have done. Email them again

I'd assume that will be covered in the meeting, I don't know how much you can force them to carry out the conversation electronically.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
Bit strange that you don't know what the meeting is about but you're already calling it XYZ unprofessional.

You haven't really gave any information so dunno why you ask us to tell you what to do. Can you explain why summoning you to a disciplinary meeting is breaking all these rules?

The email

"Dear (my name), I require you to attend a disciplinary meeting on Monday 6th of November at 09:00.  In the first Instance you should report to Reception and ask for myself (Head of Faculty). You are entitled to bring along to the meeting 1 witness, the witness is not entitled to make any comments, there will be one other member of (university) staff in attendance. Failure to attend this meeting may result in decisions being made in your absence. I strongly advise you to have a look through the student handbook, paying particular attention to the disciplinary process and what actions/ behaviours etc constitute serious misconduct and what the consequences of this could be."

This is my response "I received your email demanding i come to the meeting, and to tell me to check out a student handbook. I did not receive any handbooks except the Residential Handbook, which has nothing to do with you

However after spending 6 hours looking for anything to do with disciplinary procedures, i found one document.

After reading this I'd like to let you know a few important things

1. We did not receive any handbooks or being told about handbooks, neither by (tutor) or by Registry.

2. You have a policy in dealing with these offences. In which neither you or (Tutor) have followed

Education manual B2.5 3.2.1 "if there are grounds for academic misconduct the member of staff should advise the student(s) of this and that further investigation will take place. The member of staff should also advise the student of the support available through (student association)"

3.2.2 "the programme leader will make arrangements to interview the student(s) as soon as is practicable. This should require them to attend for an interview. Notice of 2 working days must be given and the intial concern (including details of assessment) will be shared with the student at the time of the investigation. The programme leader should also advise the student of the assistance (student association) might provide by issuing the the student with and advocacy letter. The student has the right to be accompanied and if they so wish, be represented by any of the person of their choice."

You have violated these policies. I take accusations like this extremely seriously. I will be taking this elsewhere."
The missing handbook, (which they only need to have told you existed), and the absence of a previous notification are grounds for a complaint, but ultimately I can't see that affecting the process beyond an apology.

Ultimately they should be reverting back to the first stage again. there's nothing there that says they have to notify you of the nature of the misconduct, (and there may be reasons to avoid doing so, for example if other parties are involved).
Sorry to hear, this sounds stressful :console: is this for sixth form, college, or university? (I'm going to assume university).

Which assignments have you done recently? The only thing I have heard people being forced to attend these kind of meetings is because they have been accused of collusion, plagiarism or have forgotton to reference something, or something along those lines. Could this apply to you? Another reason is artificial intelligence and for whatever reason they night think you've used it. I'm not saying you have but it's worth being prepared.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Chronoscope
Sorry to hear, this sounds stressful :console: is this for sixth form, college, or university? (I'm going to assume university).

Which assignments have you done recently? The only thing I have heard people being forced to attend these kind of meetings is because they have been accused of collusion, plagiarism or have forgotton to reference something, or something along those lines. Could this apply to you? Another reason is artificial intelligence and for whatever reason they night think you've used it. I'm not saying you have but it's worth being prepared.

I got a reason, the reason was i said i was going to throw hands with whoever gave me a cold
I got a reason, the reason was i said i was going to throw hands with whoever gave me a cold

And in retrospect do you think that was a reasonable thing to say?

Given that, why have you been quoting regulations about academic misconduct?
Original post by Chronoscope

If someone is asked to attend a meeting over some sort of academic misconduct, they can be told what it is about in advance, because they can't alter the situation, but they can come prepared to explain their actions, timelines, issues etc. If they aren't told what it is about, it means it's an issue about a relationship with another person - and they aren't told about it in advance, because of the fear of retribution. Not being told why is nearly always an indication you've threatened or assaulted someone!

The OPs belligerent response to the email pretty much confirmed it!
Original post by ageshallnot
Given that, why have you been quoting regulations about academic misconduct?

Good spot, the message from the uni states "disciplinary meeting" and "serious misconduct". Nothing about academic misconduct.

This is my response "I received your email demanding i come to the meeting, and to tell me to check out a student handbook. I did not receive any handbooks except the Residential Handbook, which has nothing to do with you

However after spending 6 hours looking for anything to do with disciplinary procedures, i found one document.

After reading this I'd like to let you know a few important things

1. We did not receive any handbooks or being told about handbooks, neither by (tutor) or by Registry.

2. You have a policy in dealing with these offences. In which neither you or (Tutor) have followed

Education manual B2.5 3.2.1 "if there are grounds for academic misconduct the member of staff should advise the student(s) of this and that further investigation will take place. The member of staff should also advise the student of the support available through (student association)"

3.2.2 "the programme leader will make arrangements to interview the student(s) as soon as is practicable. This should require them to attend for an interview. Notice of 2 working days must be given and the intial concern (including details of assessment) will be shared with the student at the time of the investigation. The programme leader should also advise the student of the assistance (student association) might provide by issuing the the student with and advocacy letter. The student has the right to be accompanied and if they so wish, be represented by any of the person of their choice."

You have violated these policies. I take accusations like this extremely seriously. I will be taking this elsewhere."

Yeah I kinda hope this is a wind up, otherwise you just made yourself look extremely stupid.
What happened in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending