The Student Room Group

I need urgent course advice

I’m in first year studying business management
in uni of liverpool and i’m not loving it, the lectures are huge and it’s quite overwhelming, i’m also not loving the course, i’m passing everything about 60-70% but i’m skipping so many lectures, i just don’t love it as i’m realising im not so academic. I did art in college and at gcse and i miss it a lot but id have to swap unis as my uni doesn’t do this course. I got a B at fine art a level which i really enjoyed but also struggled with, and got burnt out which is what i’m scared of. I’m just so stuck as i can’t talk to my uni as they will be biased, and same do other unis. i do want to end up with a degree but am i wasting my money? i don’t need a degree to start a businesses, and i don’t need a degree to do art. i’m so stuck
Original post by amyw0710
in uni of liverpool and i’m not loving it, the lectures are huge and it’s quite overwhelming, i’m also not loving the course, i’m passing everything about 60-70% but i’m skipping so many lectures, i just don’t love it as i’m realising im not so academic. I did art in college and at gcse and i miss it a lot but id have to swap unis as my uni doesn’t do this course. I got a B at fine art a level which i really enjoyed but also struggled with, and got burnt out which is what i’m scared of. I’m just so stuck as i can’t talk to my uni as they will be biased, and same do other unis. i do want to end up with a degree but am i wasting my money? i don’t need a degree to start a businesses, and i don’t need a degree to do art. i’m so stuck

Hiya @amyw0710

I would really recommend talking to your university, I know you are worried about them being biased but they should be supportive and have an open conversation about your concerns and discuss your options as well as the support available to you. From my experience at Edge Hill, when thinking about doing a Masters, I spoke to my university about it and I didn't feel they were biased at all and were genuinely supportive, considering what was best for me and my future career.

By speaking to your uni they will be able to make you aware of the support that you might not realise is there or you may not realise would help you. If you are feeling overwhelmed it may be that speaking to your universities wellbeing team helps you by receiving emotional and practical support, which may help you to avoid burn out in future. As well as discuss with you whether it is that university is the best place for you to be. For example, it may be that after some thought and discussion, university isn't the best place for you to be and that you would be happier either swapping courses and universities or considering starting your own business and the steps you will need to take to do this. Having this conversation about your concerns will help your university to best support you and to ensure you are making the best decision for you.

Remember not to rush this decision. I really think that speaking to your university is the best place to start. You could also consider discussing the decision with your friends and family members : )

I hope this helps, I am sure you will make the best decision for you,

Katie - Third year Psychology student
Reply 2
We (uni saff) aren't biased in these regards. I don't want to sound brutal, but it doesn't affect us one bit if you stay or if you drop out - ultimately we want you to make the best decision for you. Talk to your academic advisor about this.

Hi there,

I think that you should see your uni careers team. You're paying for them regardless so you might as well ask them for information/ advice. Perhaps bear in mind that they may be more focused on a higher education root. Ultimately, I think that it depends on what you're interested in in the long term. Are there any resources that you can take advantage of while at the university? Cardiff has an entrepreneur's society and freelancing courses which help people get set up, perhaps Liverpool has the same?

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 4
Liverpool has a multi-award winning careers team and they certainly are not focused on HE. It is a good suggestion to speak to them.

Hello.

This is completely understandable and it is ok to be feeling like this. I am a fine art student at Liverpool Hope University, in my third year now. Never to be biased but the fine art course is great, there is plenty of experimenting which i know can be dull coming from someone who does not like experimenting, but I quickly grew in love with trying new stuff. The staff are absolutely incredible, once you start talking to them, you will feel better with your work. Please do note, doing a fine art degree also means working both in theory (essays, other assignments) but also on the practical side, you get your own studio where you may create art. And it can be anything.

Hassa, Student Ambassador Liverpool Hope University.

@amyw0710

It sounds like you are doing really well on your course, despite feeling overwhelmed by the size of lectures! Is this something that may get used to after a while? Are there people you could regularly sit with that would help you feel more comfortable? Have you looked at the modules for Year 2? Do you think you would be more motivated/ have more interest next year?

If you decide to study art, you would have to re-apply for uni, change unis, and get used to a new course so it would require a few changes. It is fantastic to study art at degree level, you can experiment (as has been said) and can find your own style, but you are constantly looking for inspiration, thinking about how you can develop further, and constantly trying to create, which can be brilliant if you are on a roll, but frustrating if you get art block! It can also be more solitary as it tends to be you and your artwork, rather than working in groups or being able to 'revise' or 'practise together', so it can be long hours in the studio with people coming and going as they please.

You are right, you don't need a degree to start a business or to do art, but a degree can help and if you suddenly want to change careers later on, then having a degree is useful. It might be an idea to see how you feel at the end of first year while beginning to do a bit of a research e.g. Do you want to do an art foundation course first or do you want to start a degree course straight away? Where are you interested in going? Do they require a portfolio? Or if you choose to stick with business management, what kind of business do you want to run or set up? Do you have a goal in mind that might inspire you to persevere? Are there people who have set up businesses who might be able to give you some advice on what would have helped them, which may help you see your course in a different light?

Take time to think about what you want to do. Whatever degree you do there will be challenges, so I think you do have to think about what you want to do in the long term and what will prepare you the best.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending